Brompton M type Cross bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lloydsky

Hi,

Just wandering if anyone knows where I can get a cross bar (similar or same as the discontinued one) for Brompton M type handlebars? It's so that my little one can grip it from a bobike mini front seat. Thanks

Attachments

• cross bar.jpg
    cross bar.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 146
Brilliant Bikes are, erm, brilliant for that sort of thing :smile:

https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompt...s/318-brompton-xbar-for-m-type-handlebar.html

berlinonaut

Veteran
These bars were intended for the old series of M-bars that were delivered by Neobike (the temporary Asian Brompton license taker) in the 90ies and tended to break. So there was a recall for those bars with the option to either get such a crossbar or alternatively to get a new bar. This was 20 years ago, so these thingies seem finally to haven been gone (as is their intended need). If you want such a kind of thing you can find it as a generic bike accessory like i.e. that via ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fahrrad-...it-Mittelstrebe-fur-22-mm-Lenker/331616117972 or from a motorbike shop like that https://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/lenkerquerstrebe-universal-silbern.html or you can simply build one yourself using parts from a hardware store like a piece of plastic pipe.

Eline

If anyone needs one I have one for sale. It’s in Oslo, Norway and I am happy to mail it.

Attachments

• 78F99C07-89E7-4419-8E3F-736290BBA232.jpeg
    78F99C07-89E7-4419-8E3F-736290BBA232.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 90

Gunk

Guru
It’s easier to just fit a later set of bars, that’s what I ended up doing.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think the crossbars still have value for very hard/heavy riders, although the weak M-bars are a couple of decades in the past now.

I do hate it when retailers leave "no longer available" product pages up and Google brings them up at the top of searches. Amazon is one of the worst offenders.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think the crossbars still have value for very hard/heavy riders, although the weak M-bars are a couple of decades in the past now.

I do hate it when retailers leave "no longer available" product pages up and Google brings them up at the top of searches. Amazon is one of the worst offenders.
This ^^^^^^^^^^
I'm looking at you, Brilliant Bikes! ( an excellent bike shop but they've raised my hopes too many times before noticing the "No longer available " and the lack of " Show in stock items only" filter) ...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Bait and switch! They want you to visit their site in the hope you'll buy something else (not that there is any real alternative to a crossbar or, where I was similarly disappointed, Brompton SRAM hub axle fittings; the FG10,5 chain tensioner nut and tab washers are now unobtanium so I will need to modify SA parts slightly if my SRAM fittings ever get lost or damaged).

T4tomo

Guru
It’s easier to just fit a later set of bars, that’s what I ended up doing.
That solves the original wobbly bar issues, but not the OP's requirement for a handgrip for a toddler.

You might be able to fashion something out of P clips and say a wooden dowel or similar bolted to the ends of the P clips.

the bar end suggestion is fine but only if you can get the bar ends threaded onto the bars and round the curves into position.

u_i

Über Member
This thread is old, but someone, other than OP, might still find it useful. I made a bridge myself out of an alu tube + hose clamps. However, there are now at least two dedicated plastic offerings in the market, that can be found by searching for 'Brompton bridge extender' in a browser.

185Q

If anyone needs one I have one for sale. It’s in Oslo, Norway and I am happy to mail it.
Hi there Eline
Do you still have this, please?
If you do, how much to buy and send to uk?
What payment could we use?
I look forward to hearing from you.
185Q

Top Bottom