What's your opinion of Bromptons

• Love 'em

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don't like 'em

• Have reservations

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I took one for a test ride on Friday - I was quite surprised by it - not as twitchy as I'd expected, and I had a grin on my face by the time I ad to ride the bike back to the shop.

As good as riding a full size bike? No way. A decent compromise if you have to be able to jump on a train/bus or stow the bike under a desk? Absolutely. I've put in for one on Cyclescheme already...

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Been a user for ten years and now on my second. The original stays in the garage as a spare but is currently on loan to daughter's b/f.

The new one with the speed BWR set up is brilliant. Marginally quicker on the commute and perfectly capable of keeeping up with Mrs B on her tourer or MTB on a 25mile local lane bash.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Currently mine is taking me on a (flattish) 10.1 mile daily commute in 33-35 minutes, including traffic light stops. It's certainly as quick as my MTB that has been 'road-friendlied' as much as possible (tyres/bars/cassette/chainring).
When I ordered it, I requested the lightweight slicks. Alas by the time it was delivered, they had been discontinued, so it's on Marathons. Found a set of slicks on eBay recently, but got beaten on the auction that finished while I was presenting a radio show, and haven't seen a set since.:biggrin:

Quote from Post #14
'1. Because of the number of low life parasitic theiving bastard contemptable scum you do not need to risk leaving your bike on the street, just take it with you.'
The insurers insisted I had a Kryptonite Gold standard lock as a minimum - so I bought this wonderful lock I now never use for that very reason.

Mind you, I've not had it long enough to comment on reliability issues raised here.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
CharlieB said:
Currently mine is taking me on a (flattish) 10.1 mile daily commute

In Chesham?! (Neither historic, nor posh, but I'll tackle those later...)

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Nah, Harrow-Regent's Park.

Spot the ironic ' before historic and after posh. It's an earlier thread in Touring (i think) that called it that. You'd know if you saw the teenagers dragging their knuckles along the pavement and their status dogs behind them as they roll out of the kebab emporia.
Like any other town in the UK, really.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Will1985 said:
I think they are good - I slapped some SPDs and tightened the suspension on dellzeqq's steed and the ride was more to my liking.

Looking around at some examples at the weekend, there are plenty of ways to make a Brompton even lighter and faster. Some narrower slicks would have been good.
Is it possible to swap an S-type steerer for a presumably shorter M-type one? Slap on some tribars and I wonder what the national 10 mile TT record is for a Brompton...

Here's a Titanium "Brompton" with a heavily modified front end. Fit aerobars and 19mm Primo Champs and I reckon a sub twenty 10 is possible...:biggrin:

2034943758_cbdd694691_o.jpg

joolsybools

I tried a Brommy for the first time at the cycle show on Saturday. I thought it was ok but wasn't too keen on the gear levers - it was difficult to change gear (and be sure that you had!) and I had visions of them snapping off within a week. Otherwise ok though, not that I am in the market for one!

Crankarm

Guru
CharlieB said:
Currently mine is taking me on a (flattish) 10.1 mile daily commute in 33-35 minutes, including traffic light stops. It's certainly as quick as my MTB that has been 'road-friendlied' as much as possible (tyres/bars/cassette/chainring).
When I ordered it, I requested the lightweight slicks. Alas by the time it was delivered, they had been discontinued, so it's on Marathons. Found a set of slicks on eBay recently, but got beaten on the auction that finished while I was presenting a radio show, and haven't seen a set since.;)

Quote from Post #14
'1. Because of the number of low life parasitic theiving bastard contemptable scum you do not need to risk leaving your bike on the street, just take it with you.'
The insurers insisted I had a Kryptonite Gold standard lock as a minimum - so I bought this wonderful lock I now never use for that very reason.

Mind you, I've not had it long enough to comment on reliability issues raised here.

srw said:
In Chesham?! (Neither historic, nor posh, but I'll tackle those later...)

Nor flat there are some killer hills - White Hill or Chartridge Lane going up into the Chiltern Hills.

Top Bottom