Brompton rear frame failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
What a screw job....I would be very angry were this done to me. I would definitely talk to these clowns and demand it be fixed as you have nothing to lose at this point. I would also get some quality tire irons (levers to you) and practice removing the wheel and the tire at home. Learning this in the rain or sub freezing temps is unpleasant. I like to carry a tool roll with pump, tire irons, 15 mm wrench, allen wrenches, Park preglued patches and an extra inner tube. With these I can fix most things short of repairing a chain or pulling a crank. Undoing the SA shifter and loosening 3 wheel nuts is all it takes to remove a wheel since it is already flat and will clear the brakes. When you put the tire back on leave a little air in the tube to get it seated without pinch flats, then deflate a bit more. I like to put the tire on so the stem area is last. This allows the tire on the far side to get further in between the wheel rims and give that little extra bit of looseness that allows getting the last section of tire over the rim a lot easier. BTW, I've not needed it, but I've heard a Kool Stop Tire Jack is very effective. I prefer slim steel tire irons since they can get between rim and tire bead when tight.

tyreon

Gee...hope it turns out right for you.

Who knows what happened in that workshop. And if something did happen in that workshop...who's going to fess up...after this time! Think embarrassment and the like.

My gut instinct is that happened in the workshop....but I guess,it could be something else.

I bought a pair of working s/hand bar end shifter from a cycleshop sold by the owner/a pro. Turned out when I got them home and put them on the bike 7 worked,not 8. I took them back to his shop and to his credit he immediately offered to replace them,tho I then bought new. He appeared a bit shame faced cos he told me they were all in working fashion. At least he owned up. In days of old(e) some goods/services were substandard and you ended up having to have a ding-dong over matters. For the most part,those days are gone. Customer service seems to have improved. Having said that, some people can take advantage of better decent trade.
Hope you solve matters

chriscross1966

Über Member
Has one of the bolts sheared off?
This, or worked loose and fallen out. Brompton should fix that under their frame warrantee, any Brompton dealer should be able to arrange, and you should get a courtesy bike as Brompton will likely want a look at it themselves. They did when I had one do it five years ago.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brompton rear frames rust out from the inside. They look fine under the powdercoat, right up to the moment when they crack. This could be the case here. The hub may have been keeping it all together until the wheel was removed.

If you have a steel Brompton, go and pump the open rear tubes with Waxoyl/Dinitrol/Dynax S50 now.

Top Bottom