Brompton rear subframe latch thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all. I've just joined your forum having splashed out on an older Brompton (2005 from the serial number, I think), and not really knowing what I'm doing with it. I'll probably be asking various beginners questions as I go along, and have this one already..

At present, if you lift the bike by the saddle, the rear end tucks under as if you are folding it up. I find this a bit disconcerting and impractical, and I think later bikes have a little latch fitted to hold it together unless you do actually want it to fold.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to retrofit the latch to an older bike, please? Thanks for any pointers. Cheers. Phil.

roley poley

Über Member
:welcome: yes the best retro fit item I put on my 2002 model ..easy peezy to fit

OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
Thank you kindly for the welcome guys :biggrin:

Ah that is great news. I was not optimistic it would be possible, so that's a relief. Thanks a lot for the link, will call one of those in . .

OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
Thanks 12boy. Funny you should say that; I've spent most of the afternoon browsing all the things I "need" to upgrade :smile:

OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
Wonder if the original design ethos was that it was like a kick-stand -- pick up the saddle, tuck the wheel under and - bingo! - the bike stands up by itself. This one's got the rack so I could just lift it by the rack to go up steps etc, but it would be a lot easier to lift by the saddle.

OP
OP
C

coffeehound

Regular
I'm a purist so I took the latch off mine. I know you can disable it but meh, redundant weight.

Since this bike has an 8mm bolt and the kit apparently uses a 6mm bolt instead, I s'pose that offsets the weight increase..

Though maybe I should just change the bolt and not use the latch? #turmoil

Top Bottom