Brompton security when locked up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Big chain to lock the bike frame to the wheel bender (leave it at work), attach as much of the rest as possible with cables, bordo locks etc, seatpost down as above, no one will nick it if folded?
Make sure it’s insured to be left there (check policy terms carefully).
Is the shed covered by CCTV? If not, discuss with facilities once in role (not sure why the shed isn’t on site, assuming senior management parking is, thus not only ped entrance)

My new employer only allows bikes to be locked up in bike sheds.

Is not quite the same as

Why not inside? Hot decking! Nowhere to put the bike. I'm likely to be working from home mostly but on site days I could be in any number of offices around the site and probably moving around through the day.

But I see the problem.

On the other hand:

Most cars are outside too. But obviously they're relatively secure anyway,

I've been known to park a bike in a car for security. This is relatively simple as we use transit vans, but could a colleague house the Brompton in their car, or do you all have different shift patterns?

Failing that, as other have said, fold it and lock it folded. There's a triangle on the frame next to the Bottom Bracket that a lock can go through. and the rear triangle if that doesn't work. Or both, to make it extra unattractive for bike thieves...

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is the telescopic seatpost different to the non-telescopic one? The non-telescopic one can't be removed upwards, you have to take the saddle off and remove it downwards.

AKAIK, all Brommie seat posts can only be removed from the bottom, otherwise you'd be in danger of pulling it up "too far" when unfolding the bike to ride it, that's why the "stop" is there. Which is why I said ^^^ that once its folded and locked losing your seat post isn't a worry.

Kell

Veteran
WRT to the seat post.

They have a flange on the bottom which prevents them from being pulled out from the top.

So while it’s QR this is just to enable the fold. In order to remove, you’d have to undo the seat and remove it through the bottom of the bike.

As for locking it up, I wouldn’t trust it to a cable.

Where possible get a long D-lock and put it through the mini triangle.

Use the cable to wrap through the wheels if you fancy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
D lock frame to something/wheelbender and cable to saddle. Alternatively carry an IKEA Dimpa bag, plonk it in there and carry it to your office and shove it under your desk.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
The telescopic one is the saddle seatpost is in the lower one which has the restriction stopping it being removed. I'm. Not sure the top post with the saddle is the same. Never tried removing but I think on installing after purchase I think I put it in from the top but might recall that incorrectly.

Dimpa bag wouldn't work because we're technically homeless as in when on site we work from several potential locations. Often moving several times a day. Nowhere to store it other than carrying it around everywhere into meetings, canteen, etc. Locking it up with deterrents is the only option. Might try out one of my more secure locks.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Not sure the top post with the saddle is the same. Never tried removing but I think on installing after purchase I think I put it in from the top
You can simply pull out the top part of the telescopic post. So when leaving the bike unattended it is a good idea to secure it in one way or another.
Might try out one of my more secure locks.
If at my employer I would have to leave the Brommi outside I would indeed think about a different employer if there were comparable options around. Luckily, my employer even installed cupboards inside the office for storing the employees' Bromptons.

Regarding the lock: Don't know how crime affected your area is but leaving a bling Brommi outside in the very same place every workday year-in year-out clearly rises the danger of theft. So it is probably worth investing in the most decent lock available. Which is expensive. That's the price for the new job in your case.
Currently the choice would be either the Hiplock D1000 or the Litelock X1.

View: https://youtu.be/aBxyaFf379g

Kingfisher101

Über Member
All dry but outside the security gates, near enough to be observed so moderately secure.
So Its not locked within the work compound and a member of the public could just walk in the shed? Dark nights are here and on some days it will be dark by 3p.m. Personally I wouldn't lock a bike of that value up there in those circumstances. It will be taken. People will see it and it only has to be stolen once.
I'd either not take it at all or get a much cheaper second-hand folder and use that instead.
You can get much cheaper folders than a Brompton, I've had a brand new second-hand one and it was £240.
A cable can be very easily cut through and any bike in any condition is at risk.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Only employer close to this one is probably quarter the size. Certainly without the opportunities. Not many good jobs round this area and only going to get worse with the current divides and lack of interest North of Birmingham from the national leaders. No choice.

One moderately good thing is that if I stick it folded between two bikes in a certain region of the shed the thief is actually hardly likely to notice it. I knew it was there and struggled to find yesterday. Got me worried for sure! I knew it was there but walked past it a few times before I spotted it.

straas

Matt
Can you ask a colleague with similar hours if you can lock in their boot?

I wouldn't consider locking a brompton outside, certainly not on a known schedule - it's not a matter of if, but when.

Can you get friendly with security and leave inside their office in a bag?

brommieinkorea

Buy the maintenance guy/janitor a few drinks etc.. see if there's a normally locked room where you could leave it, bagged of course. People who have their own offices who might be willing to store a large bag for you during the day ? Locker room where you could leave a large bag ? Maybe the boss' office . Is there a break room where people leave lunch bags and you could hide it in the empty cabinets there ? Could you put it in a bag with a shoulder strap, park it next to your work area and when you move just carry it with you ? Meeting rooms/conference rooms where you might store it next to the multimedia equipment? FWIW the Kryptonite series 4 chains are pretty secure if all else fails..

Top Bottom