Brompton security when locked up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My new employer only allows bikes to be locked up in bike sheds. They are wheelbender racks in a clear plastic tunnel shed. All dry but outside the security gates, near enough to be observed so moderately secure. However I need to lock it as my colleague had her bike nicked from shed once.

I'd bring my upright but the train guards might stop me getting on. So folding is still safer. So I need to make it secure. How?

So far I folded it and passed a cable through the wheels and the little reinforcing triangle then round the wheel bender rack. This i think is secure enough for opportunity thief. I just wonder about the seat and seatpost. How do you stop this from being removed when you don't want it to. You can hardly use seatpost locking mechanisms if you want to fold the bike with seat down. I have a telescopic seat post as well so there's two seatpost locks.

Any recommendations?

simongt

Guru
So do we infer that your employer is sufficiently autocratic to disallow bikes to actually be locked in the outside tunnel store - ? :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
No, bikes locked in outside tunnel shed. I'm used to keeping it inside at my old work without a need to lock it. I am asking about the best way to make it secure in a public accessible bike shed. The seat post can be removed very easily being qr. Plus I'm not sure my d locks or gold rated hillock can be used with it. So that's cable lock I reckon, or is there another option?

The bike would fit in front of the wheel bender rack attachment point. So I reckon something long and thin to fit through the wheels and that little triangle then into the rack is best. Just what about the seatpost?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
buy a cheap pub bike

Folding bike needed. No such thing as a cheap folder. Plus I've already got the bike, I need to just make sure it's a secure as reasonable to do. Perhaps cable is good enough. I just think the seatpost removal is a weakness.

Mind you, I reckon if someone from work wanted to nick it there's going to be enough tools on site to make short work of any lock.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
My new employer only allows bikes to be locked up in bike sheds. They are wheelbender racks in a clear plastic tunnel shed. All dry but outside the security gates, near enough to be observed so moderately secure. However I need to lock it as my colleague had her bike nicked from shed once.

I'd bring my upright but the train guards might stop me getting on. So folding is still safer. So I need to make it secure. How?

So far I folded it and passed a cable through the wheels and the little reinforcing triangle then round the wheel bender rack. This i think is secure enough for opportunity thief. I just wonder about the seat and seatpost. How do you stop this from being removed when you don't want it to. You can hardly use seatpost locking mechanisms if you want to fold the bike with seat down. I have a telescopic seat post as well so there's two seatpost locks.

Any recommendations?

Get a new employer! One that lets you ride your bike through the office/workplace to your desk/workspace and park up there, semi or fully folded ;-)

Cables are some of easiest to cut through, so I'd go for higher rated D-Lock(s) that might be harder to attach, but then will be that much harder for someone else to get any purchase on, etc. I'm not sure about saddle/seatpost. I mean, you have to remove saddle and drop seatpost through, which depending on how tightly your bike is locked up, might be impossible anyway to steal that bit. Unless the design has changed and you can just pull seatpost straight out of the top, like my cheap titanium one.

I don't understand "bikes outside" rules for something like a Brompton, when can be parked in minimal space inside, or carried around with you. Baby buggies, wheelchairs, etc., outdoor footwear, dogs, etc., all surely should be parked outside as well.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Get your GP to prescribe exercise as a remedy for the comparative lack of flexibility in your hips / legs / knees as appropriate. Then your bike becomes a mobility aid that you need access to at all times ?

I'm not familiar with the details of Bromptons, but if you are concerned about the seat post and saddle can't you remove them before folding it and take them in with you?

Unfortunately not: the lowered seat post holds the Brompton in the folded position, so if you take it out you can't move the folded bike without it unfolding in a very embarrassing manner.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Seriously? Get another job is your advice? Would you Seriously give up on a job that pays significantly more, with an actual opportunity for progression and a higher degree of challenge / interest?

Why not inside? Hot decking! Nowhere to put the bike. I'm likely to be working from home mostly but on site days I could be in any number of offices around the site and probably moving around through the day.

Look, the facts are there's good reasons for having bike sheds just outside the estate. It's not all down to the company being inconsiderate about it. Most cars are outside too. But obviously they're relatively secure anyway, bikes not but this is the situation that cannot be changed.

BTW anything can be cut through even your bike frame if your components are worth nicking. Even gold rated locks hey defeated if the risk vs gain is worth it. Judging from comments I've had in my work town I doubt it's worth it to them. Surprisingly a fair few I've spoken to didn't realise it is a folding bike until I folded it. That surprised me somewhat.

I think my best option is cable through a much of my folded bike as possible and hope for the best.

Top Bottom