Brompton spoke length discrepancy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Noticed a broken spoke in my Brompton SON front wheel, removed it and hunted out my couple of spare spokes, bought shortly after buying the bike in 2009.
Right length but too thick to go through the hole. Dammit! Look online for a suitable spoke, 148mm, 14g instead of the 13g of my spare.
What? Brompton's own datasheet and spares suppliers such as SJS and Brilliant Bikes, indicate 137mm!?
How can this be? Measure and remeasure. Definitely 148mm. Look again at Bromptons chart. Ah, lacing pattern 1 cross, but my wheel was built 2 cross, by Brompton, so why the hell don't they include this on their chart?
Rather than hunt about for a spoke of the right size (out of stock at SJS) and pay postage, I've decided to enlarge the hole, which also means I can't re-use the old nipple, so have to remove tyre, tube and rim tape. Oh well, at least I'll be back on the road a bit quicker.

All the brommies I've seen up close had radially spoked front wheel, but a 2X pattern would result in a stronger wheel, so bit of a conundrum really. Daresay a few more knowledgeable folk will chip in.

Top Bottom