brompton tire width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yokaki5404

hello!
i would like to ask something,

has anyone of you ever use a wider tire (16* 1,75) , instead of 16* 1,35 , without having any problems ?

thank you in advance.

Schwinnsta

The widest.availabe is 349-40, and there are only a few brands. If you see a tire that is wider it's a 305-xx and won't fit. Both sizes are called 16-inch,which is confusing.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd be wary of wider tyres on a Brompton. I recently fitted Marathon Racers to mine, and they had about 1mm of clearance under the rear mudguard. Ended up taking the mudguards and rack off.
There's so many bits on a Brompton where things only just fit

brommieinkorea

16x1.75 is an ISO 305 tire; not an ISO 349 tyre. Brompton tires that fit run up to about 35mm. Only Schwalbe and Continental make tires for Bromptons. Someone once told me there was a Primo Comet in 349 that fit, but I've never seen one. FWIW if a smoother ride is what you're looking for, try the Continentals.

Last edited:
16x1.75 is an ISO 305 tire; not an ISO 349 tyre. Brompton tires that fit run up to about 35mm. Only Schwalbe and Continental make tires for Bromptons. Someone once told me there was a Primo Comet in 349 that fit, but I've never seen one. FWIW if a smoother ride is what you're looking for, try the Continentals.

There was indeed a Primo Comet, a long time ago, it was an alternative to the original black Raleigh one. I have mine in storage, I ran them on my 1997 L5 and took them off before selling the bike. They are paper thin, amber sidewalls, file pattern tread. Constant fear of punctures (though I never got any) meant I haven’t reused them yet but if I ever go to the BWC I will put them into action. Cyclists’ lore used to be that tyres matured (like cheese) with age in cool dark storage, mine probably mean that if I fit them I’ll have to tie the bike down to stop it racing off!

EckyH

Thanks for the info.
Tbh - I found that information on the Panaracer web site only by accident...

E.

Schwinnsta

There was indeed a Primo Comet, a long time ago, it was an alternative to the original black Raleigh one. I have mine in storage, I ran them on my 1997 L5 and took them off before selling the bike. They are paper thin, amber sidewalls, file pattern tread. Constant fear of punctures (though I never got any) meant I haven’t reused them yet but if I ever go to the BWC I will put them into action. Cyclists’ lore used to be that tyres matured (like cheese) with age in cool dark storage, mine probably mean that if I fit them I’ll have to tie the bike down to stop it racing off!

I really like Primo Comet, if you can get them cheap. The cheapest I found is here. At that price I am somewhat attracted, I live in the city and can do pretty well with them at least the first year, maybe with an occasional flat. After that period, they get too many flats.

On the positive side they are very supple, roll fast with less resistance. They 37 mm wide with flexy side walls. I ride conti's now, and they seem a better deal in that they hold better and are more reliable, but I rode primo comet for maybe 3 or 4 years.

Top Bottom