Brompton - upgrade to reduce wear and tear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It is definitely a "big strong boy" problem. Sylphs, racing snakes, nymphs and elfs will be immune.
I'mm certainly big, and think I'm reasonably strong - certainly strong enough to have contributed to more than one Rohloff tandem flange failure.

I simply haven't had a problem wiith a Brompton.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'mm certainly big, and think I'm reasonably strong - certainly strong enough to have contributed to more than one Rohloff tandem flange failure.

I simply haven't had a problem wiith a Brompton.
Suspect it is a QC issue. As I know one dainty lady who had hers go....

OP
OP
R

Ruffles

Regular
Yes I know it was an age ago but here's an update for those interested.

I ended up replacing the chainset with the same integrated Brompton unit. It wore quickly as before - teeth visibly asymmetric - and consequent accelerated chain wear. You could 'feel' the teeth when riding hard.

So last Christmas (2015) I got round to replacing the BB and fitting the newer 'spidered' chainset. Some months later I can detect no chain wear and it 'feels' smooth like a racing bike. So I think it's probably worth the expense and hassle.

Hassle? Well I ended up drilling out the plastic BB breaking drills in the process all because there was no grease on the thread.
I also bought new rim and bearings to refurbish the rear wheel only to discover that the bearing surface in the hub shell was hideously scored. Cheaper to buy a new wheel. (Anyone want a brand new old style rim?) So ended up shelling out > £400 in all.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The "like", incidentally is not for your tribulations, @Ruffles, but for being so kind as to share them and your solutions. Brompton chainset change is a job I have planned for the summer, hopefully to the new spider chainset too.

12boy

Guru
I think Brompton chains wear out more quickly than do my 700 c bikes' but they obviously have the chain higher off the ground and being single or IGH don't have a chain tensioner to get dirty either. In maybe 5k miles I have gone through a number of chains and one cog, although I use both a single speed ( the cog that wore out) and an SA 3 speed that hasn't yet. Cogs here are , I think, 8 bucks plus shipping so I buy a couple at a time. I wax the chains and try to keep them well lubed. I am clear the tensioner is needed for the fold but it does seem to be a dirt magnet. I have repacked the front hub a couple of times , which is easy to do, and the single speed breaks down to clean and lube the freewheel better than any other wheel I've owned. I had replaced the bottom bracket with a 119 vuelta BB for $13 and it has held up fine. I hated the plastic tightening rings on the original. I have used a Sugino RD crank with a vuelta chain ring but one tooth got chipped and I went back to the original swaged one which has held up fine and is really light. Are the newer 2 piece cranks as light as the swaged?

Kell

Veteran
I stripped down and cleaned my drivetrain for the first time since getting my bike last August. The amount of caked on sludge was shocking. The two cogs on the derailleur/tensioner wouldn't come clean with just degreaser and a gear brush. I had to use a screwdriver to scrape the sludge off.

I guess being that much closer to the ground is going to take its toll.

The sludge is nasty stuff though, I did it a week and a half ago and I think it's only the fact that I've shed a layer of skin since then that my fingers are now clean. I tried Swarfega, scrubbing brushes, Citrus degreaser and even a metal pot scourer, but the sludge was ingrained in my fingerprints and wouldn't come out.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Some people buy a second tensioner so that one can be soaked in degreaser and finished off in the dishwasher, while the other is in use.
Some people care too much about cosmetic cleanliness.

12boy

Guru
I may look into sealed bearing pulleys. When you lube your chain with the wax bath method the wax is much cleaner than oil. Sticks better in wet/snowy conditions. I have never put a bike part in the dishwasher...my wife would not bless that endeavor. I do have a for-that-purpose crockpot for the chain waxing though and another with strong detergent/water would be good to soak nasty parts in.

Top Bottom