Brompton Virgin Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
...on the top, with lycra shorts on the bottom. Some of us went the whole hog - in the drizzle - and rode to Southend in woollen dress trousers too.

Anyway - others have covered the gearing. For what it's worth, I'm quite happy with what I believe (but have never investigated) is the standard 3-speed gearing. Looking at a recent gps profile (StuartG will know which hill I'm referring to), I was quite happy with a climb of 150 ft inside half a mile, typically at 5% gradient, seated. The short sharp section at the bottom that was typically 8% gradient had me honking out of the saddle. I've never Ditchlinged on the Brompton.

Your weight won't be a problem - compared with me you're a slim whippersnapper. At my heaviest I was more than 25% heavier than you are. The only problem I ever had was a seatpost eventually becoming distorted - which took several years of daily riding.

Personally I've gone for the hub dynamo (never the bottle dynamo, which is a nasty waste of money). It's an easy retrofit and makes the bike a perfect commuter job.

I suspect (my current bike is pre-modern suspension) that I've got the softer suspension. It makes not a jot of difference - if you're heavy you simply squish the rubber further.

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

Great will stick with standard suspension. Wasn't sure about lighting as people go on about the extra weight but love the convenience of just switching on and it's there. Have the dynamo on my Pashley but front light only. I take it the B dynamo is both front and rear? Also notice for the sum of £320 you can have the Schmidt SON Hub!!!Must be good for that price, anyone have one and is it worth that much?

StuartG

slower but further
Are you married? A ploy may be to buy a minimal Brompton, find out from a year or so's riding what are the important extras and hand it on and get a replacement personalised perfect spec bike for your needs. Its going to be a lot better than trying to judge what is best from this bunch of disparate riders using 'em in different environments.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Wasn't sure about lighting as people go on about the extra weight but love the convenience of just switching on and it's there. Have the dynamo on my Pashley but front light only. I take it the B dynamo is both front and rear? Also notice for the sum of £320 you can have the Schmidt SON Hub!!!Must be good for that price, anyone have one and is it worth that much?

When I specced my Brommy in 2009 I had no doubts about ordering the hub dynamo option, but then it was "only" £190, rather than £320. However, that was with a rather basic halogen front light and standlicht rear. (There was no Shimano option, just Son, but I would have chosen the Son in any case). It's been very reliable, but with a couple of problems, both related to the front light; a blown bulb when I hadn't had the foresight to carry a spare, and a propensity for the release knob on the front carrier block to switch the lighting on when there's a heavy load in the touring pannier - better than switching the lighting off, but still an annoyance.

The Son option now includes what looks like an IQ Cyo Senso Plus, which is a really good light retailing at about £75 on its own - no fear of blown bulbs with this! [ I've used one of these on my normal commuter for about 4 years, and it's been superb. The only problem has been the rotary switch at the rear of the light falling off at some time.] Both front and rear lights in the current Son option have the standlicht function, rather than just the rear, which may be persuasive - my Brommy normally runs with an ancillary Tesco 3w cree on the bars for the occasions when I need to make a right turn. Both Shimano and Son hub dynamo options power both front and rear lights.
By the way, it seems Brompton have finally seen sense and dropped the bottle dynamo from their options.

As to whether it's worth £320, I'm not sure. A Son hub costs about £180, the IQ Cyo about £75, and a B&M rear light maybe £30.
Convenient and reliable, certainly, but unlikely to add that much value if you ever decide to sell. I'd be inclined to go for battery-powered leds - not necessarily Brompton's own, as a flasher mounted on the seat post would probably be safer than a steady light mounted low - and put up with the inconvenience of removing and carrying the front light around when necessary.

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

Are you married? A ploy may be to buy a minimal Brompton, find out from a year or so's riding what are the important extras and hand it on and get a replacement personalised perfect spec bike for your needs. Its going to be a lot better than trying to judge what is best from this bunch of disparate riders using 'em in different environments.

I like your suggestion :-)

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

When I specced my Brommy in 2009 I had no doubts about ordering the hub dynamo option, but then it was "only" £190, rather than £320. However, that was with a rather basic halogen front light and standlicht rear. (There was no Shimano option, just Son, but I would have chosen the Son in any case). It's been very reliable, but with a couple of problems, both related to the front light; a blown bulb when I hadn't had the foresight to carry a spare, and a propensity for the release knob on the front carrier block to switch the lighting on when there's a heavy load in the touring pannier - better than switching the lighting off, but still an annoyance.

The Son option now includes what looks like an IQ Cyo Senso Plus, which is a really good light retailing at about £75 on its own - no fear of blown bulbs with this! [ I've used one of these on my normal commuter for about 4 years, and it's been superb. The only problem has been the rotary switch at the rear of the light falling off at some time.] Both front and rear lights in the current Son option have the standlicht function, rather than just the rear, which may be persuasive - my Brommy normally runs with an ancillary Tesco 3w cree on the bars for the occasions when I need to make a right turn. Both Shimano and Son hub dynamo options power both front and rear lights.
By the way, it seems Brompton have finally seen sense and dropped the bottle dynamo from their options.

As to whether it's worth £320, I'm not sure. A Son hub costs about £180, the IQ Cyo about £75, and a B&M rear light maybe £30.
Convenient and reliable, certainly, but unlikely to add that much value if you ever decide to sell. I'd be inclined to go for battery-powered leds - not necessarily Brompton's own, as a flasher mounted on the seat post would probably be safer than a steady light mounted low - and put up with the inconvenience of removing and carrying the front light around when necessary.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a great choice but £320 is going to push it to £1500 and as I do have a wife questions will be forthcoming!

Battery options to start with I think.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have the bottle dynamo on my 2009 Brommy, but it is a bit last decade.

The front light has conked out, as many do, because the fold eventually severs the cable.

The rear light's not bad, it has a capacitor so stays on when you stop in traffic.

But modern battery lights are so good, I would spec a light-less Brommy if buying today.

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

Well I've done it and the Brommie is ordered.

Went for my test ride on Friday in Crouch End. Tried to cycle up Crouch Hill as my benchmark on the way to the shop. On my Pashley. had to get off and walk. Muswell Hill is steeper but I'm a 53 yo and have no aspirations to be King of the Mountains.

Anyway took the 3 speed demo model for a ride and on the final ascent Crouch Hill managed to do it by standing all the way. The bike is about 1/3rd the weight of my Pashley so I suspect that had something to do with it. They also had a 6 speed P type in the shop which I then took for a spin and straight away I was convinced 6 gears are for me. A lovely selection of ratios to keep me moving in most conditions. Didn't like the handlebars though too many options and at my age upright is best!

So I plumped for the following spec...

01 Model type : H Type
02 Gearing : 6
03 Mudguards no rack
04 Frame & Colour : Yellow and Black (Watford FC ;-)
05 Telescopic Seatpost
06 Saddle standard
07 Tyres : Marathons
08 Suspension : Firm
09 Lighting : none
10 Luggage S Bag Set
11 Rear Luggag : No
12 Transport - Eazy Wheels (StuartG and many others recommend)

All for the princely sum of £1142 :ohmy:

Plumped for the S bag over C bag as looking at both C bag looks bulky on bike compared to S and based on my wife's advice the bigger the bag the more shoot you carry so the heavier it is and you can never find anything in it.

They quoted about 3 weeks for delivery but I think that is the stock answer when they place an order so i suspect I will have to wait a bit longer than that. meantime many thanks for all your advice it certainly helped. I hope to post when I have the beast and may even be able to help others you never know.

Keep moving and enjoy the sunshine

Regards

StuartG

slower but further
Congrats. Remember your first ride should be to IKEA to get a Dimpa Bag ...

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Congrats. Remember your first ride should be to IKEA to get a Dimpa Bag ...

Well I have just this morning ordered 2 of these bags, one for my Brompton and another as a spare, for £3.75 each or whatever it was they cost you cant really go wrong. I guess if I want something more hardcore or padded then I could have spent a lot more but for now I just want to keep the bike dirt-free

StuartG

slower but further
My major use of it is on coaches - when you have to put in the luggage compartment and it needs to be covered but you don't really need any padding (and the bags are tough and don't rip). Better than the official Brompton Bag which has an open end.

Its also helpful on rural bus services where drivers know they shouldn't take a full bike but haven't seen a folder before. Removes confusion 'cos its a bag!

When used its a bit of a knack to get it folded up as tight as it was orginally. Study the way on the first unfold (I'm talking Dimpa - not Brompton!)

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

Picked my yellow and black beauty up a couple of weeks ago and very happy with the beast. My folding skills need to be improved especially when I arrive at my office. My only complaint so far is the saddle is making the butt a tad sore. I'm giving it a few weeks to see if it softens up otherwise it's the Brooks for me and also notice it can be a bit unstable especially with my lovely O bag fitted. So I am wondering if the back rack is worth fitting to help stability? Does it add much to weight or folding space?

Final question as paranoid about security even at work if I leave it over night any suggestions on a lock and how best to lock? On my other bike I have a New York lock and a wire loop I put through the saddle. The same arrangement seems ott for the Brommie so and advice appreciated.

Weather looking grim now for biking this week which makes me very sad especially having just got back from cycling the Canal Du Midi in the sunshine.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Congratulations!!

Rack will add a bit of weight but makes little difference to folded space as widest bit of package is from folded pedal to bars. Stowing, for example between seats on a train, as easier with rack as it improve manouverability.

Security at work (obviously) depends on other occupiers, cleaners and security being honest and up to snuff. Previously, small building 100% let to agencies of a govt department, and on first names with guards who'd been there donks I'd just leave it overnight but maybe lock to desk leg with a cable at weekend. Now in larger 24hr building with a constantly changing cast I'd lock it in a cupbord and take key home.

Top Bottom