Brompton Virgin Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njbhorn

Hi guys and gals, I'm a potential new Brompton owner and before I take the plunge I just wanted to ask a few questions of seasoned experts and owners before I get seduced by the sight of new bikes in the shop!

I already own a massive Pashley for leisure purposes but find the 4 mile commute to my London office doesn't suit a gentleman from a former age.

So the thought of being able to ride in, leave the little fella next to my desk and generally cycle more, makes the Brompton seem a good solution.

I am tall mind, 6' 5" and weigh about 90kg so would need the extender for the saddle and the M bars etc. however I wondering if it is worth paying the extra for the Titanium bits, plus the brooks saddle?

I'm also considering sticking with the 3 speed, although living in North London does present the odd hill so I'm hoping to test ride the 6 speed.

I appreciate this takes the bike well over the £1000 barrier but if it's worth it I will consider it.

I also notice that the bikes on the cycle shop web sites tend to be of a basic configuration and Brompton don't sell direct so you need a pretty good idea of the spec you require before you go into the shop? I have the brochure where you seem to be able to choose the colour scheme etc. but does anyone have any notion of how long a "bespoke order" takes?

Also does anyone recommend a good dealer in North London, near N5 (Cycle Surgery on Holloway Road appears to be the nearest)

Many thanks for any feedback and I hope to be a regular reader of the forum. So far it has been a great source of information for me

Regards

Nigel.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Well I hope it works out for you.

I have had mine a short while, so am not expert on what the limit is for a Brompton and height/weight but I think as far as weight goes you should be ok, not sure about the height though, maybe with the right seat post and maybe the H bars (I think they are the longer ones).
I guess ideally you should try a bike first. I didn’t and took a risk (S6L) but I am happy with it as the bike is similar to another I had (Pacific Reach Racing). I am sure someone can recommend a bike shop. There are some many combos to choose from and some bike sites have the online spec thingie and once you choose the Superlight option the price shoots up about £500 or so. I could be wrong but I think a bespoke bike is about a 3-4 week wait and now of course you get the new 2013 spec. I bought mine from Fudges Cycles (they have loads instore but I think the Compton Cycles website has the spec option thingie on it.

Being as you are a big bloke (no offense), if I was you I would go down the Airnimal White Rhino route, then you can use it on and off-road if you choose, practical and multi-purpose and around the same price if you had a highly specced Brompton Superlight with all the extras.

I am sure my views will be totally disregarded by some but that’s all part of the fun, we all like different things, just my 2p worth.

Good luck in your search and once you get your bike, whatever it is, please post some pics.

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

I like the Rhino trailer case. Looks a bit too off road serious for me but I know the Velorution in Great Portland Street so I may go and take a look. Many thanks for your response much appreciated.

fimm

Veteran
My understanding as that Brompton are quite "strict" about who they let stock their bikes, so you should have good, knowledgeable service from any Brompton-stocking shop (though I'm prepared to be told I'm wrong). As I'm in Edinburgh, I can't help with a shop for you... :smile: I'm also very happy with just 3 speeds on mine, but as I'm at the opposite end of the height & weight spectrum from your good self (and female as well), I wouldn't read all that much into that either :smile:

Do I get a prize for the most apparently helpful but actually totally useless post ever? ;)

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

That was not a useless post at all. This may be mind...

I am assuming as you live in Edinburgh you are presented with the odd hill? So for instance with your 3 speed steed would you be happy to cycle to the Castle from a platform at Waverley station?

That's the sort of degree of difficulty I'm presented with in Norf London

seadragonpisces

Über Member
I like the Rhino trailer case. Looks a bit too off road serious for me but I know the Velorution in Great Portland Street so I may go and take a look. Many thanks for your response much appreciated.

No problem.

Bike in the link below is one I considered and Bike Friday supposed to be really decent quality, just a thought as to get one normally they have to place an order and you wait ages to get one built in Oregon, but here they have it in stock

Good luck

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m1b0s19p5056/BIKE-FRIDAY-Tikit

fimm

Veteran
I am assuming as you live in Edinburgh you are presented with the odd hill? So for instance with your 3 speed steed would you be happy to cycle to the Castle from a platform at Waverley station?
Yes. I don't think I've ever cycled up to the Castle, but I can (and do) "honk" the bike up the ramp from Waverley, and then continue up Market Street to the junction with the Royal Mile. If you're familiar with Edinburgh, the other hill I do fairly regularly is Dundas Street, again I alternate between standing and seated to get up there.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I ordered my custom Brom through the cycle to work thing at the end of April and got the call on Monday to tell me it was ready for collection and I pick it up tomorrow (it was ready but I wasn't). I've bought the one with a brazillion gears as I'm a chubby hill dodger and live at the top of Plumstead Common.

StuartG

slower but further
If you go for the 3 speed - get the lower gearing. It isn't height - its your inside leg that counts. Only you can determine if its OK from a test ride. Brooks saddle - check the premium the dealer quotes. it may be cheaper to buy one online afterwards (I actually sold my ordinary saddle back to the dealer!).

Titanium? Check the all up weight. It ain't going to make that much difference except when carrying it (oh do go for the eazy-wheels - a great armsaver).

Dead right about it makes you ride more. Not having to leave it in an insecure area and being more able to do inter modal travel without bother or time restrictions. Oh and I ride mine in anything from full lycra to a business suit (and once in a tuxedo). So versatile ...

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

If you go for the 3 speed - get the lower gearing. It isn't height - its your inside leg that counts. Only you can determine if its OK from a test ride. Brooks saddle - check the premium the dealer quotes. it may be cheaper to buy one online afterwards (I actually sold my ordinary saddle back to the dealer!).

Titanium? Check the all up weight. It ain't going to make that much difference except when carrying it (oh do go for the eazy-wheels - a great armsaver).

Dead right about it makes you ride more. Not having to leave it in an insecure area and being more able to do inter modal travel without bother or time restrictions. Oh and I ride mine in anything from full lycra to a business suit (and once in a tuxedo). So versatile ...

Thanks for those tips, I'm going for a test ride this afternoon so I will feel a little more informed now. Like the eazy wheels, I saw the video on You Tube and they look like a great idea.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I love a Brooks saddle, I've got a couple on my regular rides and switch them about as I change preferences, but I found the Brompton saddle entirely comfortable for a weekend borrow from a pal and quite a few miles on Pennine undulations - The finger grips under the nose are both a nice touch and do make the comfort and feel of carrying it folded better and more secure than what is quite a flappy feeling side panel of the Brooks (on a Birdy folder).

I could manage with the standard 3 speed on the hills and dales around here (whilst recovering from a long term injury, so relatively overweight and unfit) but if I were buying my own right now I would opt for a lowered 3 speed or maybe a 6 depending on other cost options - there are conflicting opinions on the derailleur unit, mainly positive, but its another moving part to go wrong eventually and if you're into the aesthetics, is an ugly little protrusion.

I've never ridden a superlight, but the standard frame is hardly a monster, rolls along nicely and light enough for Mr average here to carry happily, particularly if you're used to lugging a Pashley around, I'd be concerned about paying a £500 premium for it unless I was planning to backpack it up a mountain and ride down the other side.

hope you enjoy it, I'm fighting the n+1 urge very hard at the mo myself.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The titanium reduces the weight by about 700g. If you can carry the steel one it will save a lot of cash! It depends on whether you have to mount stairs or not, I should think. The normal gearing is quite high - I have always had the reduced gearing, and prefer the 6-speed, but that's my choice. I have the normal seat post with the saddle at its highest: my leg length is about 31" (29-30" trouser size). For longer legs you may well need the telescopic seat post as the extended one onlyadds an inch or so to the normal. With the taller seat post, you will find the H or P bars more comfortable as their height will match that of the saddle better. Most friends with Bromptons say that, if restricted to just one bike, that is the one they will keep!

peterjvh

Regular
Not to split hairs, but the extended post adds 60mm, or 2.36 inches.
Depending on inseam length, it might not be long enough. In that case a telescopic post might do the trick. Another reason for getting one might be for easier packing into Brompton carrying cases. Taking the seat off is a pain on a non-telescopic post.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
H type with extending seatpost. FYI I'm well and truly over 90kg and 6ft and have no issues with the Brompton and have done loads of rides over 100 miles with no discomfort issues.

OP
OP
njbhorn

njbhorn

Thanks everybody appreciate the help. I went for my test ride and after the initial shock of the riding position - after riding a Pashley! - feeling like I was very low down at the front I soon got used to it and really enjoyed myself which is crucial. The bars were the M Type so i am sure the H type will be more comfortable for me. The seat height seemed fine with the extended bar. Also the gearing seemed OK for me and I went up my local hill without having to stand so I am not so sure about the gearing, StuartG says go for the lower gearing. So which one -12% or -18% and what does it all mean?

I've managed to download the B-spoke order form and I can answer 7 out of 12 but could do with some more advice on the missing 5...

01 Model type : H Type
02 Gearing : ??? (-12% or -18% is -12% a good compromise?)
03 Mudguards no rack
04 Frame & Colour : Yellow and Black (Watford FC ;-)
05 Telescopic Seatpost
06 Saddle Brooks
07 Tyres (any recommendations from experience?)
08 Suspension (Says firm for anyone >80kg, I'm about 90kg but no speed merchant + Pashley = smooth ride)
09 Lighting (advice from forums suggests buy add ons to keep weight down etc.)
10 Luggage C Bag Set
11 Rear Luggag : No
12 Transport - Eazy Wheels (StuartG and many others recommend)

Total price £1144 :ohmy:

Plus about 8/9 weeks delivery

This forum has been a great start to a potential Brompton life, it's great to get experience from other riders something that only comes with riding and living with one and often at great cost as I can see!

Top Bottom