Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Being now-quite invested in the idea of one of these pricey little toff-trolleys I find myself with many questions, and would appreciate the input of those more experienced in the field than I...

1. Panniers - does the Brompton (or indeed aftermarket) rack(s) take standard size pannier bags, or does this cause issues with the smaller wheel size? Is this likely to depend on the size of the bag, or is there clearance for all but the largest? Work demands a laptop and paraphanalia; and I'm thinking that while I can potentially take my "daily" stuff in a rucksack, the work gear might be better carried on the rack.

2. How do you approach security? Obviously with a full-size bike it's normal to lock it up outside the destination; while Bromptons give the option of locking up or taking inside; with the latter presumably being more secure. Do you always opt to fold your bike and take it with you, or do you sometimes lock it up?

3. Do you find that there are any areas of the bike that get a particularly hard life / require particular care or protection? For example, I see the rear wheel folds against the bottom bracket area of the frame; which over time I assume could damage the paint in this area.

4. Are there any tweaks, tips or accessories you consider essential to getting the most from the Brompton experience?

Cheers :smile:

Last edited:

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
1 Depending upon how much 'paraphenalia' you need to carry with your laptop I'm sure you can find a Brompton bag large enough. That will fit on the front carrier block (max recommended weight 10kg)
2. Going by comments in the forums a high percentage of owners will take their bike into the office or shop with them.
3. I don't bother about scratches, rubs or marks on my Bromptons, I don't clean them ofter either, so I'll leave others to comment on that.
4. Everyone's needs and ideas are different so just follow the Brompton forums and see what bits others have fitted and decide if it is something for you.

Toff-trolley ^_^ I love it.

ExBrit

Über Member
4. Are there any tweaks, tips or accessories you consider essential to getting the most from the Brompton experience?

Everyone I know has tweaked their Brompton. If you want to ride 5k to the station you don't need to do much tweaking. If you want to ride centuries, you'll do quite a lot of tweaking. There are many YouTube videos on "essential Brompton upgrades". Here are a few I can recommend. There are many more.

Curbside cycle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZabS0u_Wjc

Everyday Cycling:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhjkwa-Cmo4&t=161s

Me :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fchafoPv_yE

(some) Brompton owners have a habit of neglecting maintenance. Brompton rims, being smaller, have much less meat on them than full size wheels, so they wear out much quicker. Dirty rims contaminate the brake blocks and devour the rim's braking surface.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
B20ABE89-89A5-48CD-A849-3FAC387E51E8.jpeg

This bag, a Brompton Metro Backpack branded bag clips on to the luggage block on the front, it’s big enough for a laptop, weatherproofs, lunch, cans of fizzy pop and more. It has zipped compartments inside, and a smaller zip up compartment on the outside front, mainly for keeping the orange water proof cover, but will hold phone, keys, whatever. Also two stretchy pockets on the side, in which i have put water bottles in the past.
Two straps on the back so you can wear it like a rucksack when you are carrying the “Toff Trolley”.

EDIT. The bag on the handlebars is a bottle / bits n pieces holder from decathlon, cheap as chips.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I do have a Brompton bag for the front which I use for weekends away so is big enough to carry anything you may need. For everyday use I have a cheap bag from Aldi/Lidl which takes everyday stuff. I have gone camping with addition of a Helicopter Bag on the rear rack. (That is the maximum size for offshore helicopter trips)

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
2. How do you approach security? Obviously with a full-size bike it's normal to lock it up outside the destination; while Bromptons give the option of locking up or taking inside; with the latter presumably being more secure. Do you always opt to fold your bike and take it with you, or do you sometimes lock it up?

I think mine has been locked outside maybe twice. I have taken it into loads of places and never had a problem. Obviously commuting to work it went into the office with me. But it has also been into cafes and pubs, museums, checked into the cloakroom at The Sage, tucked into a corner at talks and workshops. No-one has ever refused it entry.

If you're getting it to commute I wouldn't even consider leaving it outside locked up. Folded they really don't take up much space so you're bound to be able to find a little corner to put it in. Get a cover for it if you think people will be offended by it. I had a small piece of plastic carpet protector to stand mine on so no-one could claim it dirtied the carpet.

Upgrades: if you're buying second hand, check if the rear frame clip has been fitted. It's a £30-odd quid bit that stops the rear triangle swinging down when you lift the bike up and has been standard since the mid 2010s iirc. I've had to buy a couple over the years.

Ergon GP grips are really nice for longer rides as they offer a variety of hand positions and don't interfere with the fold.

Don't bother with the Cateye Brompton-specific under-saddle light. They have a habit of flying off never to be seen again. A bog-standard, seatpost-mounted rear light will do fine. The Cateye front lights are great though, but expensive. I recently 3D printed some front light brackets that bolt onto the front reflector mount and take a standard rubber-band-mounted light allowing a twenty quid Planet X light to do the job of a ninety quid Cateye :smile:

featured_preview_on-bike.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Are there any tweaks, tips or accessories you consider essential to getting the most from the Brompton experience?

luggage block and basket bag is pretty useful (it also folds completely flat)

IMG_1523.jpeg

Not really into bling, the only upgrades I’ve done on mine is a brooks saddle, steel chainguard, later integrated levers and the Brompton Eazywheels.

The plastic seat sleeve insert IMO is a must.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Do you find that there are any areas of the bike that get a particularly hard life / require particular care or protection? For example, I see the rear wheel folds against the bottom bracket area of the frame; which over time I assume could damage the paint in this area.

My BB area had rubbed right through where the rear tyre rested against it when folded, you can buy a CF protection plate, but I’ve just touched it in. Bottom of the chainstay also wears through where the front wheel clip rests on it, again I’ve just touched mine in.

I’ve been thinking about getting the the basket bag… I think that has convinced me. I have the S bag which is mostly OK but shelling out on the Borough Large seems a bit excessive for occasional use. I upgraded the rollers pretty promptly for skateboard wheels and most recently have swapped handlebars so it’s now a M6L rather than a S6L

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I use the Brompton T-Bag. About 30l capacity, and it's been my sole luggage for a 10 day tour, so it'll easily hold a laptop. I gave up on the rear rack as anything that overhung the edges clipped my ankles.
Security - I use a D-Lock, or just take it in. I've often had it folded in a supermarket trolley, or in the corner of a hotel bathroom.
Mods - Bar ends, I've got a different saddle, I've dabbled with double chainsets, and I've recently taken the mudguards and rear rack off. Looking at the 3D printed light bracket upthread, I once achieved something similar using a short length of broom handle bolted to the reflector bracket, but now I just fit a small light to the bars instead. I've also got a very small 15mm ring spanner, two tyre levers, some patches and a few allen keys in a ziplock bag shoved into the front part of the frame, as a cheaper version of the Brompton toolkit.

vickster

Legendary Member
I bought a large Brompton Messenger bag, large enough for everything you’ll need for a day at work as long as don’t have to take a desktop or the kitchen sink!
I also have a bar bag to keep small things accessible.
not locked it up but do keep a cable lock in case need to attach to a bit of train for peace of mind
Came with the Brompton lights but I’ve not used the bike in the dark yet. Got a cateye orb for seat post (for free, as was £4.99 in Halfords on sale and they’d kindly sent me a £5 voucher!)

Top Bottom