Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Just thinking out loud / for future reference (and in the absence of anywhere more appropriate to put this)... Ideally the commute in the car, via my preferred route is about 22 miles and 35 minutes under optimum conditions; costing about £6.40 daily in fuel for the round trip; assuming 45mpg and £1.45/litre.

Currently, thanks to sodding roadworks compounded by the bloody school run traffic the commute is a shade more than 27 miles and an hour; so around £8.00 in fuel for the round trip.

The optimium approach with a folder would seem to be to dump the car as close to the city as I can get whilst avoiding the traffic, then cycle the rest of the way predominently on the tow path. This would be a 13.5 mile car journey (so around 20 mins and £4.00 in fuel round trip) plus an 8 mile ride that Google slates at 45 mins; so probably a total journey time of 1hr 10-15 mins once the faffing of sorting the bike out has been taken into account.

So... comparing the "hybrid" commute against the best-case car journey gives an increase in travel time of around 40 mins from 35-75 minutes or a bit over double, and a decrease in fuel cost of £2.20 or around 35-40% from £6.40 to £4.00.

Conversely comparing the bike-based commute to the worst-case journey gives an increase in travel time of around 15 minutes or maybe 25%, while fuel cost drops by around £4.00 / 50%.
Based on your calculations the Brompton will pay for itself relatively quickly through saving fuel cost alone: A saving between
£2.20 and £4.00 per day accumulates to between £440 and £800 per year, 200 working days assumed. If fuel prices rise it will be more saving and faster payoff. So even an expensive new Brompton will pay for itself relatively fast and even faster if you are able to profit from a cycle2work scheme (which you can't with a used bike).

Gunk

Guru
The other main point that I think has been missed is that they’re just a lovely thing to own, a great bit of ingenious engineering and great fun to ride. I sold my first one and instantly regretted it, having a Brompton back in the garage has been great, I can’t imagine selling this one, in fact I’m now on the look for another for Mrs Gunk

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The other main point that I think has been missed is that they’re just a lovely thing to own, a great bit of ingenious engineering and great fun to ride. I sold my first one and instantly regretted it, having a Brompton back in the garage has been great, I can’t imagine selling this one, in fact I’m now on the look for another for Mrs Gunk

This times a billionty.

Tenkaykev

Guru

Very much agree. We were fortunate to pick up a couple of barely used 2015 M6L's a few years ago. We've had a few adventures on them, but mainly it's just tootling and shopping / pub. We're in a local WhatsApp group who meet up at a Brewery taproom most Fridays, sitting in the sun sipping beer with the " roadies " and the off roaders, all gently bantering about each other's choice of bike😁

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
1. Carrying kit on a Brompton is easy if you use a Brompton front frame and bags. The catch here is if you put the word Brompton on anything. It becomes expensive. There are ways round this.

2. Security. You are already halfway to being banned by half of the Brompton community by just suggesting that you do not weld the little darling to your hip. Leave it outside? What a heathen. Personally, I look on it as a bike and I wire it to something solid when I go shopping. You will not believe how entitled some Brompton owners are when they are not allowed to take them into places.

3. Paintwork on Bromptons is notoriously poor and it will scratch, regardless what you do.There are bits of metal you can buy to put in cartain places to stop scratches. The pedals re big culprits.

4. I would certainly change the grips for ergo grips. I changed the pedals. They are awful. Keep the saddle. The best stock saddle on a bike that I have had. You do not need a Brooks saddle. Practice changing the rear tyre by watching YouTube videos. Practice in the house and do not wait until you have to do it on the road.

I have 2 Bromptons. I rode across Bulgaria on one of them. Fully loaded, mostly on farm tracks. They are good for throwing in the Kia Picanto for a day out. But compared to other bikes for riding, they are not good. The entire drive train and gear system is a one off. No other bike has anything like it. It is very plastic. Even the gear levers. My bikes are 6 speed and the gears often go wrong. Do you get 3 speed or 6 speed? Doing it again I would get a 3 speed as the difference in the high and low gears is so small. Its not worth it in my opinion. For easier pedalling. Changing the chain ring is a simple option.

If I were to do it all again. I would get a Tern. But the Brompton gets lots of attention and it is cleverly made. As a touring bike to get on trains, ferries and taxis. It cannot be beaten. But they are not quick.

If I lived in London. I would not buy one. Bromptons are most certainly being targeted.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
Keep the saddle. The best stock saddle on a bike that I have had.
There's actually something about the Brompton that you LIKE? :eek: That's new! :laugh:
Do you get 3 speed or 6 speed? Doing it again I would get a 3 speed
There is no 3 speed any more apart from the A-Line.
as the difference in the high and low gears is so small. Its not worth it in my opinion.
Would not say so. With the BWR 6-speed with it's 302% spread you are in the range of a 8-speed hub. The 3-speed offers only 179%. If you ever have to tackle the slightest hill you'll quickly recognize the difference.
Bildschirm­foto 2023-06-11 um 07.56.18.png

2. Security. You are already halfway to being banned by half of the Brompton community by just suggesting that you do not weld the little darling to your hip. Leave it outside? What a heathen. Personally, I look on it as a bike and I wire it to something solid when I go shopping.
If I lived in London. I would not buy one. Bromptons are most certainly being targeted.
That's why people take them with them all the time instead of leaving them locked outside: The bike gets neither wet nor stolen nor vandalized. Which is a good thing if you ask me.
If I were to do it all again. I would get a Tern.
Maybe you should. It would either fit your needs better or it would calibrate your constant negativity towards the Brompton to something more neutral (or even positive).

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I agree about the Brompton saddle. I have one also on my Bike Friday and an old Tern I have as well.
Much more comfortable for me anyway than any other expensive saddle.
I would not shed tears if the Tern got stolen but would be more annoyed about losing the saddle.

Gunk

Guru
I agree about the Brompton saddle. I have one also on my Bike Friday and an old Tern I have as well.
Much more comfortable for me anyway than any other expensive saddle.
I would not shed tears if the Tern got stolen but would be more annoyed about losing the saddle.

I think they’re made by Velo

a.twiddler

Veteran
I was a Brompton sceptic but I wouldn't be without it now. The biggest advantage for me if I do a train/bike trip on my own is there's no fretting about someone pinching your bike while you're in a public toilet or cafe or even most shops. You really can take it anywhere. When I'm out on it, it goes where I go. As others have said, it has its drawbacks. The paint could be better, it's surprisingly heavy, the transmission gets quite mucky being close to the ground, and the rear wheel can be a pain to remove and replace by the roadside (the answer to that is practice). But it's pretty tough and durable, you can get parts easily, and there's no real faffing about with the fold. It just works. The Brompton luggage system is unexpectedly better than it sounds too. The saddle fits me better than I'd expected. After an unintended 65 mile ride last year I was still able to function the next day! Mine came with bag loops, don't know if more recent ones do.

If you don't have one, you'll never know, but you'll always be wondering about it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Everyone’s arse is different, I’ve done over 900 miles on the stock saddle. I still want a Brooks though, you’re not a proper Brompton rider unless it has Brooks on it.

I have a B17 shaped hole in my life.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was a Brompton sceptic but I wouldn't be without it now. The biggest advantage for me if I do a train/bike trip on my own is there's no fretting about someone pinching your bike while you're in a public toilet or cafe or even most shops. You really can take it anywhere. When I'm out on it, it goes where I go. As others have said, it has its drawbacks. The paint could be better, it's surprisingly heavy, the transmission gets quite mucky being close to the ground, and the rear wheel can be a pain to remove and replace by the roadside (the answer to that is practice). But it's pretty tough and durable, you can get parts easily, and there's no real faffing about with the fold. It just works. The Brompton luggage system is unexpectedly better than it sounds too. The saddle fits me better than I'd expected. After an unintended 65 mile ride last year I was still able to function the next day! Mine came with bag loops, don't know if more recent ones do.

If you don't have one, you'll never know, but you'll always be wondering about it.

I agree with all the above, first test ride a B about 8 years ago, 8 years later I got one.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Everyone’s arse is different, I’ve done over 900 miles on the stock saddle. I still want a Brooks though, you’re not a proper Brompton rider unless it has Brooks on it.

I have a B17 shaped hole in my life.

Mines got a 1960’s B17 on it, it’s super comfortable

IMG_1522.jpeg

Top Bottom