Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I have a B17 saddle lying in a box somewhere. Never got on with them.

It happens. Especially if you're on the light side. Then a Sella Anitomica might work better for you. Personally, I'm on the dark side.

12boy

Guru
I have been riding my P line for about 400 miles or more and I really like the dropout/tensioner arrangement since you can pull the rear wheel without taking off the tensioner. Very easy. Also don't need a 15 mm wrench to remove the wheels. I am a fan of having a saddle bag and rarely use the front block because I ride mostly for pleasure and don't tote a lot of stuff around. When I do I have the shopping bag which is capacious. Loaded up it definitely improves the ride on bumpy stuff. It also is a big drag in a headwind which are frequent in Wyoming. The saddle bag is big enough to hold a jacket, water bottle, wallet, phone and a fairly large jacket. No noticable drag.

Kell

Veteran
Me neither.

The Brompton stock staddle mine came with is fine.

I find that mine is comfy for anything up to about an hour.

After that, not so much.

tyred

Legendary Member
I couldn't quite get the saddle high enough for me on the standard seatpost so I replaced it with a clone of Brooks B66 as the springs buy you an extra half an inch or so over a saddle without springs. It was just enough. I like sprung saddles on an upright bike anyway. They do add to comfort.

Bike crime isn't too much of an issue around here anyway but I do wonder when I tour on it. I was running out of time to get the bus I had booked back to Stranraer on Saturday but wouldn't have minded a very quick look around the Tall Ship museum in Glasgow but didn't want to leave the bike unattended in such a place. I get it that I could have take it with me if I had just the bike but I also had a stuffed large front bag plus a Carradice longflap. It all comes apart quite easy for putting on a bus for example but it wouldn't be very convenient to walk around crowded exhibits carrying all that lot and doubt the staff would want me doing it anyway.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Bike crime isn't too much of an issue around here anyway but I do wonder when I tour on it. I was running out of time to get the bus I had booked back to Stranraer on Saturday but wouldn't have minded a very quick look around the Tall Ship museum in Glasgow but didn't want to leave the bike unattended in such a place. I get it that I could have take it with me if I had just the bike but I also had a stuffed large front bag plus a Carradice longflap. It all comes apart quite easy for putting on a bus for example but it wouldn't be very convenient to walk around crowded exhibits carrying all that lot and doubt the staff would want me doing it anyway.
I've asked & been allowed to leave mine behind the reception desk in museums. Also some have facilities for storing push-chairs and I'm sure a Brompton would fit in a similar space.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've asked & been allowed to leave mine behind the reception desk in museums. Also some have facilities for storing push-chairs and I'm sure a Brompton would fit in a similar space.
Yeah I've pitched upto meetings on mine and left it with building reception etc. I would never leave one unattended despite a good lock in London (apart from in the office secure bike store (passcard enabled security cameras etc.) They are an absolute thief magnet.

Front luggage block is the best place for baggage. I don't really buy the "its not very aero" argument, its no wider than you body and although I've not wind tunnel tested it, it might even smooth out the airflow vs the wind hitting moving legs and thighs, its also balances the handling nicely.

Fastpedaller

I don't really buy the "its not very aero" argument, its no wider than you body and although I've not wind tunnel tested it, it might even smooth out the airflow vs the wind hitting moving legs and thighs, its also balances the handling nicely.
Your reasoning (to me anyway) is sound. I don't know why some folk get so focussed on aero - it's not as if we are all Olympic champions is it?

A (now sadly departed) friend had his bike 'serviced' by a local mobile cycle mechanic. He had a front wheel puncture (fortunately he was near home) and he asked for my assistance. When we went to take the front wheel out it was nigh-on impossible because said cycle mechanic had put the quick release skewer right against the fork - my friend had even queried this at the time (although he wasn't mechanically minded) and was told 'it's best to put it like that for aerodynamics'. We had to get a thin wooden spatula against the fork to protect it, and use a steel strip to lever it apart from the fork.
Crazy, deranged mechanic!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Your reasoning (to me anyway) is sound. I don't know why some folk get so focussed on aero - it's not as if we are all Olympic champions is it?

A (now sadly departed) friend had his bike 'serviced' by a local mobile cycle mechanic. He had a front wheel puncture (fortunately he was near home) and he asked for my assistance. When we went to take the front wheel out it was nigh-on impossible because said cycle mechanic had put the quick release skewer right against the fork - my friend had even queried this at the time (although he wasn't mechanically minded) and was told 'it's best to put it like that for aerodynamics'. We had to get a thin wooden spatula against the fork to protect it, and use a steel strip to lever it apart from the fork.
Crazy, deranged mechanic!
Whenever I've done that (lined the QR up with the fork so it's hard to open) by mistake, I've always put it down to the fact that I'm an idiot. I now realise I am in fact a professor of aerodynamics :smile:

Top Bottom