Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Whenever I've done that (lined the QR up with the fork so it's hard to open) by mistake, I've always put it down to the fact that I'm an idiot. I now realise I am in fact a professor of aerodynamics :smile:

I'm not so sure, I think just tucked behind the fork would be more aero.....^_^

Kell

Veteran
I don't really buy the "its not very aero" argument, its no wider than you body and although I've not wind tunnel tested it, it might even smooth out the airflow vs the wind hitting moving legs and thighs, its also balances the handling nicely.

I have a C-bag - so a relatively large bit of kit.

It definitely (feels to me like it) causes extra drag. But the biggest issue was in gusty conditions it provided way more of a target for sideways gusts of wind. Because I only use it when carrying extra stuff, I'm not looking for the quickest times anyway, but I feel like I'm a lot quicker with a rucksack.

I use mine only if I have to. As I've mentioned before, I find it very disconcerting to not be able to accurately place the front wheel as you can't see it from the cockpit.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There's actually something about the Brompton that you LIKE? :eek: That's new! :laugh:

There is no 3 speed any more apart from the A-Line.

Would not say so. With the BWR 6-speed with it's 302% spread you are in the range of a 8-speed hub. The 3-speed offers only 179%. If you ever have to tackle the slightest hill you'll quickly recognize the difference.
View attachment 694109

That's why people take them with them all the time instead of leaving them locked outside: The bike gets neither wet nor stolen nor vandalized. Which is a good thing if you ask me.

Maybe you should. It would either fit your needs better or it would calibrate your constant negativity towards the Brompton to something more neutral (or even positive).

As I paid for mine. I think I am entitled to whatever opinion I choose. The fact that a lot of Brompton owner look on them as their babies and get upset when a bad word is said about them. Really does not bother me. If Brompton had a fraction of the mechanical aptitude that Kinetics have. They would be making top class bikes at any level. An example was The Brompton Explorer. Lots of hype and it turns out to be a green Brompton with khaki bags.
There's actually something about the Brompton that you LIKE? :eek: That's new! :laugh:

Would not say so. With the BWR 6-speed with it's 302% spread you are in the range of a 8-speed hub. The 3-speed offers only 179%. If you ever have to tackle the slightest hill you'll quickly recognize the difference.
View attachment 694109

That's why people take them with them all the time instead of leaving them locked outside: The bike gets neither wet nor stolen nor vandalized. Which is a good thing if you ask me.

Maybe you should. It would either fit your needs better or it would calibrate your constant negativity towards the Brompton to something more neutral (or even positive).

This is what happens when you say what you think when you have ridden hundreds of kms on a Brompton. Some Brompton owners just do not like their babies being spoken about in this way. To me its a bike. Its great for travelling with but its not a patch on my Koga World traveller to ride. Some Brompton city gents cannot let go of the fact that its no longer just a city bike. Its being used for ultra distance rides and going round the world.

If Brompton R@D department could do what Kinetics could do. Then they would really be onto something.

For example. A Brompton Explorer should not just be a Brompton sprayed green with khaki bags and an Explorer sticker on it. It should look like this.

View attachment 694109

Screenshot_20230614_180732_Chrome.jpg

For example. A Brompton Explorer should not just be a Brompton sprayed green with khaki bags and an Explorer sticker on it.
Well I guess Brompton can name their special editions any way they like. You don't like it and have every right to to so - but on the other hand: You are obviously neither the target audience for the edition nor do you have any stake in the company as far as I know.
The explorer model was well perceived, even by those who do not like Brompton's special editions normally. It sold out quickly (and that was before the speculative scalpers went mad with special edition Bromptons). So I guess Brompton did something right here despite your complaints - in the end their job is to sell bikes, not to fulfill the criticism of people who would not buy one anyway. Prices for used examples went through the roof since they have been sold out, so reality proves you wrong.

Mildly interested in your opinion about the VW Golf Pink Floyd and what it should have looked like in your opinion. :laugh: But only mildy.
94%2520Volkswagen%2520Golf%2520Pink%2520Floyd.jpg

wersja-limit-pink-floyd-1400cm3-sprzedam-326080387.jpg

Last edited:
For example. A Brompton Explorer should not just be a Brompton sprayed green with khaki bags and an Explorer sticker on it. It should look like this.

View attachment 694738

BTW: Personally I don't think that 305 Big Apple tires and a raw laquer finish would make an "Explorer" bike or suit it very well. The Landrover-like color Brompton went for fitted the idea better in my opinion.
If you like a real Explorer Brompton you can buy one. It is called - guess what - "Eerder Xplorer". Unfortunately it costs "a little" more than the special edition from Brompton, 6680€, (which is bad news for you as you already constantly moan about Brompton's prices), plus you have to queue up for quite a while and to wait before that as the order book is closed.
Xplorer%20unfolded%20No03%20Timothy.jpg

https://www.eerdermetaal.nl/brompton_winkelcollectie.html

Last edited:

roley poley

Veteran
Bringing out and filling the rolled up ikea dimpa bag stuffed up the tubing of my T3 has enabled me to go further than any of my other bikes have ever done...
PS.. I am biased

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Would you consider parting with it for a price - ? :whistle: I like them and a spare is always useful. :smile:

Had not really thought of selling it but I will dig it out later to check on the condition. Possibly not for a couple of days tho' so I will message you if I do consider selling.

a.twiddler

Veteran
At a glance I would say: Looks decent. 3 speed. Mudguards. Possibly repainted. Original brake levers, rabbit ears gear changer, one piece 50T chainset. Brakes should be OK if it's a 2012. Is that a dynamo hub? No apparent lights, could it be made to work? Has rear frame clip, saddle pentaclip. Saddles are always a personal thing. Could be ridden as is, or updated a bit fairly cheaply. Paid about that for my 2012 model with a rack and working dynamo about 2 years ago. Worth a punt. Or have I missed something?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Brooks C17 on mine, surprisingly comfortable although I do ride padded.

Miserable daffodil wouldn't let me wheel and park it into a completely empty pub near work yesterday (outside was full, inside not a soul). I couldn't be bothered to fold it, so we went elsewhere. Fark him

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have a Brooks C17 on mine, surprisingly comfortable although I do ride padded.

Miserable daffodil wouldn't let me wheel and park it into a completely empty pub near work yesterday (outside was full, inside not a soul). I couldn't be bothered to fold it, so we went elsewhere. Fark him
Probably said No, just because he could. For all he knew, there were another 500 thirsty Brompton riders waiting outside, just waiting for the word from you to come in and spend their money. Ah well, can't win them all.

Top Bottom