Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Probably said No, just because he could. For all he knew, there were another 500 thirsty Brompton riders waiting outside, just waiting for the word from you to come in and spend their money. Ah well, can't win them all.

I have a Brooks C17 on mine, surprisingly comfortable although I do ride padded.

Miserable daffodil wouldn't let me wheel and park it into a completely empty pub near work yesterday (outside was full, inside not a soul). I couldn't be bothered to fold it, so we went elsewhere. Fark him

He possibly thought it would make the floor dirty - not realising the parts of the folded Brompton don't touch the road, and people's shoes are possibly dirtier :rolleyes:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I can see why you, a mere layman, might think that. But as a Professor of Advanced Aerodynamics, and not an idiot at all, I can assure you that it's not. For very complicated and clever reasons.

Get some aero covers for your QR levers for the win

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all - appreciate all the responses although this thread has become a little overwhelming!

I take mine in the shop, always, use it as a shopping trolley. Fold the rear and front wheels, then push the bike around shop using the bars, like a trolley. Did it this morning in fact , around both the little Sainsbury’s & Co-Op. I’ve also pushed it round Wickes, and the big Sainsbury’s.

Have you ridden one yet? If not get yerself over to Warlands, they’ll let you test ride one. Or you can come over to Didcot have a go on mine. Better still, do like @Gunk says and just bloody buy it.

Thanks - should have clarified I was thinking more from the perspective of moving from one shop to the other over modest distances rather than taking it inside - really a question of to unfold, ride, fold or just push in its folded state. Probably less of a concern for me currently anyway as I'd not envisage doing any shopping on it..

I've not ridden one yet; however am fairly comfortable with the idea of buying one off the bat as the commute is driving me insane and providing I don't buy an overpriced pup I should be able to shift it if I don't get on with it.

Ta for the suggestion of Warlands, however I'm not looking at buying new and am too morally upstanding to waste someone's time when I have no intention of rewarding them with a sale. If I find myself in the area I might pop in for a nose though, if they have any on display :smile:

Based on your calculations the Brompton will pay for itself relatively quickly through saving fuel cost alone: A saving between
£2.20 and £4.00 per day accumulates to between £440 and £800 per year, 200 working days assumed. If fuel prices rise it will be more saving and faster payoff. So even an expensive new Brompton will pay for itself relatively fast and even faster if you are able to profit from a cycle2work scheme (which you can't with a used bike).

Thanks; although unfortunately your calcs are a bit optimistic. For a start I only do three days a week at that office and realistically am less likely to use the bike in the winter. So.. based on 3 days / 6 months use that's more like £172 and £312 depending on fuel saved.

As per my previous post I can't do Cycle to Work, although did wonder if I could blag somebody else's...

The other main point that I think has been missed is that they’re just a lovely thing to own, a great bit of ingenious engineering and great fun to ride. I sold my first one and instantly regretted it, having a Brompton back in the garage has been great, I can’t imagine selling this one, in fact I’m now on the look for another for Mrs Gunk

Yes, I do find myself drawn to them for their intrinisic qualities as well as the utility they afford.

I think they’re made by Velo

Yes, looks like it. The more recent Brompton-branded saddles look very similar to some of those sold by Madison (which are also Velo-made).

Seems they make nearly everyones' saddles, which is no bad thing as I get on very well with them and think they suit a lot of people :smile:

I think Brompton saddles are made by Fizik.

I've seen a few Fizik saddles on later Bromptons; possibly just the C-Line black editions..

Thanks - seems it's sold now, however..

So.. the quest continues. Still on the fence about exactly what I want but being more proactive about chasing stuff. A few things I've learned so far:

- Prices are solid: While a typical bike might lose half its value once a couple of years old, the Bromptons I've been looking at (mostly more recent M6s and C-Lines) seem to command more like 2/3rds of their new value.

- Prices are variable: I think because the product range is so confusing to the casual buyer, people take the pish with older / lower-specced bikes. In particular I've seen a few B75s (the pared-down, base-spec bike that was replaced with the A-line) for £750; which would buy you a better-specced model.

- Demaind is high: Probably because it's the ideal weather to be using them. I've enquired about a couple of decent-priced examples that have sold the day they were listed.

- Everything's in bloody London: Local at least, but a bloody pain..

At the other end of the spectrum I'm also keeping an eye out for a BTwin 120; which appear well thought of and would at least allow me to try out a folder on the commute while I look for something more up-market.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
At the other end of the spectrum I'm also keeping an eye out for a BTwin 120; which appear well thought of and would at least allow me to try out a folder on the commute while I look for something more up-market
The Fragrant MrsP and I test rode one of those, we very nearly bought them, it was lovely to ride, ultimately the fold just wasn’t small enough. Brompton just wins on the fold.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The Fragrant MrsP and I test rode one of those, we very nearly bought them, it was lovely to ride, ultimately the fold just wasn’t small enough. Brompton just wins on the fold.

Thanks - appreciate the input! Seems the cheapest (120) is a steel frame, the higher-end models are all ally. They seem pretty popular too as those I've seen have been snapped up quickly.. maybe it's worse round here as the traffic is so vile and I'm not the only one with this idea.

Clearly not going to be as good / versatile as a Brompton, but if it gets me out of the myre currently.. in my case it only has to fit in the boot of the car. Tbh I've even thought about folding the seats down and using a full-size bike, but I think that would probably get old very quickly..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks - appreciate the input! Seems the cheapest (120) is a steel frame, the higher-end models are all ally. They seem pretty popular too as those I've seen have been snapped up quickly.. maybe it's worse round here as the traffic is so vile and I'm not the only one with this idea.

Clearly not going to be as good / versatile as a Brompton, but if it gets me out of the myre currently.. in my case it only has to fit in the boot of the car. Tbh I've even thought about folding the seats down and using a full-size bike, but I think that would probably get old very quickly..

Sounds like a good compromise.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Sounds like a good compromise.

Aye, we'll see. The B-Twins are apparently heavy but for 20% the price of a Brompton you can't have everything. Will keep an eye out and see what happens.. misery of the morning commute and glorious weather are providing a large incentive to get something sorted currently!

vickster

Legendary Member
Aye, we'll see. The B-Twins are apparently heavy but for 20% the price of a Brompton you can't have everything. Will keep an eye out and see what happens.. misery of the morning commute and glorious weather are providing a large incentive to get something sorted currently!
I extolled Brommie virtues to a colleague of mine, however the cost is prohibitive even with C2W and she wasn’t keen on the little wheels for poor London surfaces. She is drawn to the Btwin as it overcomes these issues even though she recognises that the Bromptons are of far higher quality, much better looking with a much neater fold.

I’ve now ridden 80 miles on mine and will use again once or twice next week

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I extolled Brommie virtues to a colleague of mine, however the cost is prohibitive even with C2W and she wasn’t keen on the little wheels for poor London surfaces. She is drawn to the Btwin as it overcomes these issues even though she recognises that the Bromptons are of far higher quality, much better looking with a much neater fold.

I’ve now ridden 80 miles on mine and will use again once or twice next week

Cool - the Btwins certainly look decent considering. Can be picked up for £100-150 used, too. Clearly not as good as a Brompton, but as you suggest they do have their advantages; another potentially being the more straightforward / conventional gearing..

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well I guess Brompton can name their special editions any way they like. You don't like it and have every right to to so - but on the other hand: You are obviously neither the target audience for the edition nor do you have any stake in the company as far as I know.
The explorer model was well perceived, even by those who do not like Brompton's special editions normally. It sold out quickly (and that was before the speculative scalpers went mad with special edition Bromptons). So I guess Brompton did something right here despite your complaints - in the end their job is to sell bikes, not to fulfill the criticism of people who would not buy one anyway. Prices for used examples went through the roof since they have been sold out, so reality proves you wrong.

Mildly interested in your opinion about the VW Golf Pink Floyd and what it should have looked like in your opinion. :laugh: But only mildy.
View attachment 694777

View attachment 694778

Well you raise a good point about Bromptons "Special Editions". I have a Brompton 9 Streets". It is unusual in so much it is sort of a two tone red and blue. But as I pointed out to Will. A R&D department should not be a group of 6 year olds with box of coloured crayons. Just because you paint it Flame orange, jockey red or artic blue. Does not make it "Special" it makes it a different colour .

I am not complaining about Brompton. I am just expressing an opinion. I ride mine, I like it. But if the R&D department put away the crayons and designed better gear shifters and pedals . I would like it more.

As for these "Specials" selling well. Of course they do. A few months later the buyers sell them on at inflated prices. Thats no secret. How you get on the list is the secret.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool - the Btwins certainly look decent considering. Can be picked up for £100-150 used, too. Clearly not as good as a Brompton, but as you suggest they do have their advantages; another potentially being the more straightforward / conventional gearing..

I’m not sure I’d buy a cheap used folder and not have any warranty. Do Decathlon do the lifetime frame warranty on folders too?
Although if £100 bike fails it’s less of an issue

Kell

Veteran

If you're not going to be using it for public transport, ultimately the folded size is not the most pressing issue. You could definitely consider something with bigger wheels (20" or so) or even go for something with full size 26" like a Tern Joe P24.

I used to have a Dahon Matrix (2 actually) and they definitely were a more comfortable ride.

Ultimately mine both snapped (aluminium fatigue and/or me being a fat knacker). But while I had them I enjoyed the ride quality. Especially as you can put wider tyres on than you can get for a Brompton.

I don't know what your car is, but it's surprising how much space a Brompton does actually take up. We have a 1st Gen Audi Q5 and the folded package takes up almost half the boot.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I don't know what your car is, but it's surprising how much space a Brompton does actually take up. We have a 1st Gen Audi Q5 and the folded package takes up almost half the boot.
I've said it before: Given that the Brompton is on of the smallest bikes in folded space: Is it not rather astonishing how useless a modern immensely sized car is when it comes to the actual amount of space it offers? Buy a Volvo from the 90ies and the situation will look different.
Btw: I've recently transportet one of my Bromptons in the boot of a first gen Renault Kangoo and it took way less than a quarter of the boot space.
Even my cargo bike takes 2 Bromptons, a repair stand, a rucksack and loads of various other bits in the cargo box plus a 3rd Brompton on the trailer. A 4th wouldn't have been an issue. So basically a massive SUV is an abolute joke when it comes to usable space for transport even in comparison to a bike for a fraction of the cost. A Sports utility Vehicle is neither sporty nor useful, at least it is a vehicle...

1686933330084.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
-

Does not compute, it's irrelevant that it's a small footprint Brompton taking up half the space. You could rephrase it as the boot in the Audi Q5 is so miniscule you can only fit a couple of Bromptons.
The old rolling stock on the Caledonian Sleeper between London and Glasgow was quite compact, but we managed to fit our Brommies under the bottom bunk.

bromsleeper.jpg

Top Bottom