Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Here's most of my Brompton toolkit - the metal tyre levers seem to have gone walkabout.
Most of it came from an Aldi toolkit and saddlebag deal a few years ago, for £5 iirc.
Anyways, a 15mm / 9mm spanner, any allen keys you might want (the little ones that come with flat-pack furniture are OK), various self-adhesive patches and some emery cloth. Stuff it all in a bag, stuff it up the front part of the frame and all is good. And you've still got £65 saved, to spend on a day out!

brompton toolkit.jpg

Gunk

Guru
I’ve just put one together as a short term solution until I decide if to buy the Brompton in-frame kit, the saddle bag is perfect as it doesn’t interfere when the seat post is down, I’ve just included an emergency get home kit which I already had in the garage. I’ll stick a spare tube in the frame.

IMG_1640.jpeg

IMG_1641.jpeg

tinywheels

Über Member
I’ve just put one together as a short term solution until I decide if to buy the Brompton in-frame kit, the saddle bag is perfect as it doesn’t interfere when the seat post is down, I’ve just included an emergency get home kit which I already had in the garage. I’ll stick a spare tube in the frame.

View attachment 696498

View attachment 696499

emergency get home kit! WTF,it's called a taxi. Keep up your in the brompton club now.

I think Sir Walter still thought of himself as the king of the bike jungle back then. Same year that I left school and started a five year engineering apprenticeship. I pretty much witnessed the dying stages of the once mighty industrial base that Britain once was. The threat from the far east was being brushed off and not taken seriously, the UK motorbike industry being an early victim. As we all know, just about everything now to do with bicycles is manufactured in the China or Taiwan, Brompton being one of the very few that have escaped thus far, apart from a brief experiment in that direction some years back. I do hope they don't make the same mistake as uncle Walter - looking around at some of the tri-fold bikes for sale in Thailand at about a third the price of a Brommie, I'm inclined to think double barrelled Billy has taken his eye off the ball.

Gunk

Guru
I think Sir Walter still thought of himself as the king of the bike jungle back then. Same year that I left school and started a five year engineering apprenticeship. I pretty much witnessed the dying stages of the once mighty industrial base that Britain once was. The threat from the far east was being brushed off and not taken seriously, the UK motorbike industry being an early victim. As we all know, just about everything now to do with bicycles is manufactured in the China or Taiwan, Brompton being one of the very few that have escaped thus far, apart from a brief experiment in that direction some years back. I do hope they don't make the same mistake as uncle Walter - looking around at some of the tri-fold bikes for sale in Thailand at about a third the price of a Brommie, I'm inclined to think double barrelled Billy has taken his eye off the ball.

You are probably right, they had tried a ‘folding’ small 16” wheeled bike with the RSW which wasn’t a run away success.

IMG_0933.jpeg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If Raleigh had taken it on, it would have been badly built, with penny pinching components, awful welds, and would have look shoot, like their other small wheel bikes. So, thank goodness for small mercies.

Managed to bring my Triumph Trafficmaster (re-badged Stowaway) back here recently. As the frame comes apart in two pieces it was possible to bring in my luggage, along with the rest of the parts, except the wheels. Will build it back up with ally wheels. Hoping to put it in the car for travelling adventures. Despite all of the faults that come with these old bikes, I do rather like them, and see them as a challenge to modernise them and make into something usable. When I get going on the build I'll share it of course :okay:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You should know by now, a significant proportion of the members on this platform know the square root of feck all about anything, let alone bicycles, this correspondent included.

Conversely the are experts on whatever shock, horror story in the news that day.

Top Bottom