Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoho oy

1. Panniers - does the Brompton (or indeed aftermarket) rack(s) take standard size pannier bags, or does this cause issues with the smaller wheel size? Is this likely to depend on the size of the bag, or is there clearance for all but the largest? Work demands a laptop and paraphanalia; and I'm thinking that while I can potentially take my "daily" stuff in a rucksack, the work gear might be better carried on the rack.

2. How do you approach security? Obviously with a full-size bike it's normal to lock it up outside the destination; while Bromptons give the option of locking up or taking inside; with the latter presumably being more secure. Do you always opt to fold your bike and take it with you, or do you sometimes lock it up?

1 Cheap and cheerful option- backpack. Brompton specific- front block bag or rack bag (2 versions- older, a little bit bigger, or new one). They are not cheap, but I guess at the end of the day worth the money (designed to fit when bike is folded and not).

2 The best security is having bike with you. In general nowadays most stores are OK for you shopping with unfolded Brompton. I noticed one area in London where I saw all sorts of Brompton bikes routinely locked outside. New A line or various 3-6 gear models. Well, guess what- my friend was showing me the video where he filmed someone suspicious tampering with one locked up Brompton. After the few minutes the chap was gone. There were plenty other brand bikes, but the thief went for a Brompton. I suspect that regular bike thieves hang out all the time by the places where are a lot of locked up bikes and go for the most expensive/easy to sell ones.

Kell

Veteran
Just as an FYI - I was struggling with present ideas one year, so put the Brompton toolkit on my wishlist.

It's a lovely looking thing, but I don't think it's very useful. In fact all I've done with mine is carry it for about 6,000 miles. I don't think I've ever used it.

I know of several posters that have made their own version out of a rolled up cloth or old inner tube and carry the tools they consider to be useful.

Kell

Veteran
-

Does not compute, it's irrelevant that it's a small footprint Brompton taking up half the space. You could rephrase it as the boot in the Audi Q5 is so miniscule you can only fit a couple of Bromptons.
The old rolling stock on the Caledonian Sleeper between London and Glasgow was quite compact, but we managed to fit our Brommies under the bottom bunk.

View attachment 695047

What it is is that the bike is too tall to go in the boot with the parcel shelf in. If it did, it would be really useful as that's where the Brompton's footprint is smallest. So it has to lie down.

And unless you have something to cover it, you can't place anything (you want to keep clean) over the top. So you're probably correct in terms of absolute volume, it maybe takes up a quarter of the space. But in actual use, it effectively takes up half.

And yes, the boots on many SUVs are surprisingly small. It was definitely a shock coming from an A6 Avant, to the Q5.

On the plus side, the Brompton fits almost perfectly in the boot of our convertible Mini. Which is a massive shock.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just as an FYI - I was struggling with present ideas one year, so put the Brompton toolkit on my wishlist.

It's a lovely looking thing, but I don't think it's very useful. In fact all I've done with mine is carry it for about 6,000 miles. I don't think I've ever used it.

I know of several posters that have made their own version out of a rolled up cloth or old inner tube and carry the tools they consider to be useful.

I used mine recently to fix something on the works van, I had the bike with me and it was the only tool I had that had the correct size but. It’s a very useful tool kit. 😊

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well I guess it's useful if it gets used.

Mine has never been used ergo...

It's missing the most crucial thing which is a 15mm spanner.

yes, in retrospect one would’ve thought that a basic requirement.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ermmm...the Brompton toolkit comes with a 15mm spanner. Why on earth wouldn't it?
You are of course completely correct, I am a muppet. My confusion stems from needing to tighten the nut slightly on the seatpost clamp and not having a spanner for that. Fortunately, I was able to use one at a cycle station somewhere in Hungary
IMG_3355.jpeg

Kell

Veteran
Ermmm...the Brompton toolkit comes with a 15mm spanner. Why on earth wouldn't it?

Oops.

I misremembered. It only has the 15mm. But it’s too short to be of any use on the trails if you’ve tightened your nuts up. I carry a separate, longer 15mm.

I think last time I looked at it, it was the 10mm I wanted for the brakes.

By the look of it, some sites say it’s just for punctures.

Others say “The Brompton Toolkit fits inside your frame and includes all the tools you need for basic repairs and maintenance of your Brompton bike.”

Which I’d say is a bit of an overclaim. And at £65, it’s a bit punchy for a puncture repair kit.

All in all, I’d say I’m failing to see the value in it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom