Petulant Brompton questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Here you go.

IMG_3990.jpeg

Kell

Veteran
Versus if it could go in upright.

IMG_3991.jpeg

berlinonaut

Veteran
It only has the 15mm. But it’s too short to be of any use on the trails if you’ve tightened your nuts up.
In this case you probably have overtighend them before. Tightening your nuts up does not sound like a desirable idea to me anyway. :ohmy:
Others say “The Brompton Toolkit fits inside your frame and includes all the tools you need for basic repairs and maintenance of your Brompton bike.”

Which I’d say is a bit of an overclaim
I'd say it is a rescue kit. I've one toolkit but a flock of Bromptons, so I usually put it onto the daily driver to avoid stranding somewhere w/o tools. If I go touring I usually take a manually selected set of tools with me.
However: Recently I did have a puncture unexpectedly somewhere in nowhereland and all I had with me was the toolkit. No spare tube, no extra bits. Worked flawlessly but my touring selection of tools suits me better.

One of the most ingenious bits in it is this thingy from Knipex:
IM0006435.png

IM0006434.png

https://www.knipex.de/produkte/rohr...aubenschluessel-einem-werkzeug/8603125?v=2938

It is basically a very high quality version of an adjustable spanner, available in numerous sizes. The smallest one will do (or the second smallest one if you like it bigger). An absolute joy to work with.

12boy

Guru
I have 2 tool rolls, each with a Lezyne pump, 15 mm wrench, 3 allen wrenches, park stickon patches, 3 tire irons and usually a section of paper towel for greasy hands. The 15 mm wrenches are cut down longer ones. Curremtly I have a 10 mm wrench and a screwdriver which has flat and Phillips options. No longer need the 15mm for my P line. I like to put Nuts, washers etc on the flattened tool roll so I don't lose them.
I love Hannah at brilliant bikes. Her videos are pretty good as far as I am concerned.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200123_091019.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091019.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 5

ukoldschool

Oops.

I misremembered. It only has the 15mm. But it’s too short to be of any use on the trails if you’ve tightened your nuts up. I carry a separate, longer 15mm.

I think last time I looked at it, it was the 10mm I wanted for the brakes.

By the look of it, some sites say it’s just for punctures.

Others say “The Brompton Toolkit fits inside your frame and includes all the tools you need for basic repairs and maintenance of your Brompton bike.”

Which I’d say is a bit of an overclaim. And at £65, it’s a bit punchy for a puncture repair kit.

All in all, I’d say I’m failing to see the value in it.

I think maybe you need glasses Kell! As well that the 15mm ratchet, its got an 8mm spanner & a 10mm spanner both in the tyre levers (plus a spoke key).

Also, if you do your wheel nuts up with the 15mm ratchet, you will then be able to undo them with the same.... You can easily meet the wheel nut torque requirement with the ratchet, tiny as it is...

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I think maybe you need glasses Kell! As well that the 15mm ratchet, its got an 8mm spanner & a 10mm spanner both in the tyre levers (plus a spoke key).

Also, if you do your wheel nuts up with the 15mm ratchet, you will then be able to undo them with the same.... You can easily meet the wheel nut torque requirement with the ratchet, tiny as it is...

Well I never! I hadn’t noticed those. You learn something every day! I had to go to the garage and get the tool out to check.

IMG_3508.jpeg

It really is a clever bit of kit.

12boy

Guru
I can't say for others but one of the many charms of my Brompton's tiny wheels is their not needing much truing. Strong little guys.

Kell

Veteran

I was going to say you learn something every day - but that might only be true of me.

RTFM.

As for the 15mm - as I've mentioned before, I seem to have a massive issue with rusty nuts (no laughing at the back).

Putting them on isn't the problem, removing them when they're seized is.

My latest front wheel has done a little over 1,000 miles and the nuts and spindles are both corroded. And the non-drive side of the rear is difficult to get off with a full-size pedal spanner. No chance with the piddly little one.

Last edited:

shingwell

I keep some re-usable cable ties (ebay!) attached to my tool kit so they can live within the frame too, and extracted with the tool kit.

Top Bottom