Brompton's first cycle-camping trip ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I look forward to reading of your exploits. I hope you have fun.

I like cycling …. And I like camping, but it’s nearly 30 years since I’ve done both together. I’ve recently become inspired by Audaxers/long distance cyclists, wild camping and micro-adventuring so when I read about a cycle-camping weekend with the yacf crew I took the plunge. Scouring boxes in the loft I found our old saddlebags, panniers, racks, touring cooking kit et al. It would be easy to sling a rack on the Rourke, stuff the panniers to the brim, bungee a tent to the rack and roar-off into the sunset. But that was far too easy …. It had to be possible on the Brompton!

I molished a large saddlebag onto the Brompton front rack using cable-ties, another large saddlebag onto the seat-post with an SQR block. I still needed more capacity and bought a Topeak QR beam rack for the tentage. A brief test-ride on Thursday evening showed the Brompton to be a very capable and stable load-lugger. Now the plan ….

The plan was simple, take Friday off, watch election night on Thurs night/Fri, have a lie-in and depart at 1300 hours. Shocked from the election result that’s what I did.

Route was basically NCN 5 to Long Itchington. 60 miles. I dropped into Warlands en-route to pick-up rain covers for the 30 year old saddlebags as the sky looked ominously grey.
Sustrans routes are like the Curate’s egg. Some good bits, but some dreadful sections of very poor road surfaces, unyielding roller-coasters and endless single-track mud-plugging along canal paths. Still, by 7pm I’d arrived and with a little help got the new Vango Banshee 200 tent pitched and bags and bike stowed inside it in time to grab a beer and wait for the fish and chip van. Many pints of London Pride helped wash the nosh down .....

The next day, Superleeds OTP arrived for the Cyclechat shirt hand-over (what a fab fellow) and then off to greasy brekkie at the Long Itch Diner (most excellent for £6.50). To burn it off (ahem) a 35 mile bimble taking-in Draycote water and a fab posh vegetarian restaurant (Saumersault emporium) in Rugby. I had a nice afternoon kip followed by a team cook-in for dinner, top Trangia action …. And more beer. Did I mention the camping field belonged to a pub, oh yes!!

The next morning I overslept. Well sort of. I woke at 0730, made a Trangia cuppa (oh the joy of lying in ones sleeping bag making a brew), I ate my brekkie Belgian bun (I know, such indulgence) and lay back generelly feeling good with the world. The next thinhg I knew it was 10:45! Got packed and said goodbyes and got on the road by 11:30. Quick blast into Leamington Spa and a train home .... bloody £17.50 for a 30 minute train ride ... no wonder people drive ....

A weekend of simple pleasures at a pleasant pace. Fresh air, good friends, the joy of the outdoors, getting away from it all etc. etc.

And the Brommie works a treat as a basic tourer. It fits nicely into my diddy tent which is a bonus and is easier to transport onto buses or trains as the mood takes or circumstances dictate. I would say based on this experience that if Touring/distance was a major aim of your Brompton purchase, that the M-bar option makes more sense. Apart from bigger front luggage availability I would imagine being more upright than on the S-type would make for a more relaxing experience.
But what's great about Brommie touring ... it makes other people smile. :-)

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4635330

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru

Bodhbh

Guru
OK, I've geekily weighed the kit!!!!!

The front bag + frame (contents as listed) = 6.7kg
Rear bag (contents as listed) = 4.9kg
Beam rack plus tent + sleeping mat = 3.9kg

Seems quite a lot!

I dunno, I'm not a weight weenie, but it seems okay as it's including the bags. Cheers for the info about the pedals I want some folding ones with an aggressive grip.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Mental - nice one Fabbers!
I'd like to go further .... But it seems the Government is clamping down on all kinds of extremism ....

OldGreyBeard

I'm inspired! I have Brompton plus some 1980s lightweight camping kit (JetPacker, Trangia etc). I've been looking for any accounts of cycle camping on a Brompton and here its is. Wonderful.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

A bit of googling throws up quite a few tales and images of differing set - ups. A Brompton is a good touring machine with suitable gearing. Go do it :-)

Last edited:

OldGreyBeard

I used to stay in Youth Hostels and sometimes used trains to get back when cycle touring but that is all rather more difficult now. I don't liek B&Bs and hotels are a bit expensive. The Brompton plus camping restores the flexibility to cycle touring. I hadn't really considered it before.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I used to stay in Youth Hostels and sometimes used trains to get back when cycle touring but that is all rather more difficult now. I don't liek B&Bs and hotels are a bit expensive. The Brompton plus camping restores the flexibility to cycle touring. I hadn't really considered it before.
With a Brompton (even one loaded with touring kit) using trains and buses becomes much easier.
I particularly like the rigs that use a full sized rucksack on the rear as this leads to even greater usability.

SA3BR

I am not sure if this should be a new thread so I will let the mods decide:

I noticed the QR beam rack in OP which looks a handy way for cycle camping Brompton L-type owners* to gain space for a bulky campy items when a rear old-fashioned saddlebag and front luggage(official/saddlebag/actual suitcase :smile: ) is not enough:

T-type owners can of course use the path-less-pedalled method** of a large rucsack hung from dowel on saddle and resting on rack although this is then presumably extra unsuspended mass on the rear wheel......
which made me think, I presume the QR beam rack places to much load on the seatpost to be used in pathlesspedaled mode even if mounted as low as possible as in OP? but what if a detachable rack attached to the seattube like some child seat supports:
QR seatpost bracket(for childseat) Associated seat (of which only metalstruts of interest for Brompton luggage)

As long as (redesigned) to not interfere with legs, the luggage would all be suspended mass..

*I think most L-type owners would be better with a lightweight rack for folded stability due to 4 eazi-wheels: eg Vostok Ti minimal rack (with all important! lamp bracket)
is what I hoped the recently revamped official rack would look like albeit in aluminium alloy.....
I know similar cheap alloy racks are on ebay but they are shorter and thus have no provision for a proper rear lamp/reflector unit....

**Rucsac as rear luggage on T-type

NB I have found a larger front suitcase, so perhaps currently academic for me :smile:

Top Bottom