Tern Link - first experiences and troubles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnop

Regular
I just bought a second hand Tern Link, 3-Speed hub version, ca 2016 model.
The bike does not seem to have run a lot of milage.

I uses it on my way to work, in the commuter train. I only fold the main chassis, in fact there is enough space...
(But enough to present the teckit inspector a folded bike to avoid an extra ticket for the bike)

However, I found that the foldable stem has a lot of play.

Observations:

-If I push the lock handle firmly against the stem, there is no play.
(makeshift measure: applying a velcro strap over the handle, forcing it against the stem...)

-The spring inside, visible when folding the stem down, was badly mangled - finally I broke it.

My feeling is that a new spring will solve the problem, is that correct?

Did you find other week spots on the Link series?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I have a 2015 Tern Link Uno which I bought new and use daily for commuting and shopping duties. Generally it has been faultless all this time, just wear and tear items really.

With specific reference to the joints, they do need a tiny bit of adjustment from time to time. Opening the clasp by a small amount then using a spanner to gently turn the hexagonal bar a quarter turn or so is usually enough to alleviate any issues. It's number 4 on the picture below:

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 21.04.00.png

Maybe pop up a picture of the joint and the problem?

There's a page here explaining about the joints on these bikes and how they work and adjust:

https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/sup...ipse-link-node-swoop-vektron-and-verge-except

The spring is probably the tiny spring in the small release catch, number 1 on the diagram, it would be a good idea to replace it, but the answer to your problem is adjusting the hexagonal bar.

Overall I've found the Link to be a really good reliable bike, the only issue to be aware of is the weight limit for these bikes. It's about 100kg, which includes all you're riding gear, luggage etc. A good friend at work had a Tern Link and he was a tall lad and stocky built, so hovering around the 100kg mark with kit etc, he went through several hinge joints on his Tern Link.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
Thank you for your post chris, but my stem looks different.
In fact parts 3 and 4 are absent. I'm not saying they are missing, it's just a different system.

I must go to bed now, I post a picture sometime.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm not saying they are missing, it's just a different system.

Sounds to me like you have a first generation Tern with the original handlebar post clamp design?

I've just made a quick google search and found this of an early Tern Link, could this be your clamp? I can see what looks like a spring nestling in the bottom, is this the one?

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 07.24.32.png

So you're right in the fact that the spring is integral to this design, and will need replacing, as to adjustment though I'm sorry, I'm not sure at all.

There's some info here on a Gen 1 bike from Tern:

https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/bikes/support/764.

I would try to contact Tern themselves maybe or try and find a dealer, maybe they could help? Generally Tern are a helpful company in my experience.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
Thanks, that's it. The old one.
The spring is cheaper than the shipping ;)

Do these break often? The old one looks really abused...

How would you compare the new Physis stem to the old one, are there notable differences in performance and life expectancy?

And do you know how long the old version was sold?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'm sorry but I really don't have experience of these joints, I can only surmise that they were used for a year or two looking at the model history on Tern's website.

With regard the newer OCL/Physis system, I've had nothing but positive experiences with it. Sure they need a little bit of adjustment from time to time, but other than that, they just work and work well too. I often look at other folder owners on the train, including the odd Brompton or two and they are always fiddling with the latching mechanisms on their bikes, taking a few moments to operate them and make them secure. The OCL latch on the other hand takes seconds to open or clasp shut, no fiddling at all and always secure.

Glad to hear that you were able to find a replacement spring, even if the postage was high, that's sadly the way with small parts. You'll have to pop back and let us know if that fixed your issue.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
Update:
the little Grub screw came loose again and had to be re-adjusted.

Vibrations take their toll here...
How would a professional bike enthusiast cope with that?

Loctite?

Top Bottom