Experiences with Tern Castro models?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnop

Regular
I'm still loocking for a 24inch folder, the usual suspects are Terns Node and Eclipse, however those are high in demand and the second hand prices are still very high...

The Castros seem to be less popular and thus cheaper.

The step-through style frame sets them apart frome the rest. Not that I like that, but...
Do you have an opinion on them, especially concerning the durability of the frame?

Are there other facts that should make one avoid them and rather go for the more expensive Node Models?

Drago

Legendary Member
Any particular reason for hankering for a 24 incher?

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
The roads here are not very good, with 20inch it gets rather bumpy.
I feel that a 24 incher would be better suited for the job.

Kell

Veteran
I'm guessing if you're looking a Castros, you aren't too bothered about speed.

So while I've always liked the Airnimal bikes, they're at a very different end of the market. IMHO they don't make good commuters as the front wheel has to come off and the handlebars need to be removed for the fold. But if it's just for leisure, then it's a maybe. See below for folding:

View: https://youtu.be/cyuaO3NG0lI

They were expensive new, so I'm surprised to see them recommended here, but I've never looked at SH prices until now. Quick look on completed eBay sales shows that a realistic price would be circa £450 and up. You didn't set a price, but that's good value for one of those - if it's in good nick.

Any reason why, if you're going for the 24", you don't go the whole hog and get a 26"?

(I've included links to sellers on eBay - where I could find the bikes below)

Dahon Matrix, Espresso or Cadenza (someone's selling two for £500) for example? Or a Montague Swissbike X50? (Though they have the same issue as the Airnimal in that the front wheel needs to come of to fold.).

Or if you're set on 24", then Tern Joe's always looked good to me.

Can I ask why the particular need for a folder? Is it for storage or for travelling?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
A 24" isn't so much cop for travelling - in the UK at any rate - as the rail companies treat folders above 20" wheel sizes as regular bikes, with all the attendant hassle and bollix that goes with it.

How bad are the roads? I mean, I've been to Beirut and the roads round here are no better than there and I manage nicely on a 451 size folder, the largest 20" wheel standard. Larger choice of bikes, it treated as a folder so no restrictions on trainsm a lot less hassle all round.

Last edited:

tinywheels

Über Member

So while I've always liked the Airnimal bikes, they're at a very different end of the market. IMHO they don't make good commuters as the front wheel has to come off and the handlebars need to be removed for the fold. But if it's just for leisure, then it's a maybe. See below for folding:

View: https://youtu.be/cyuaO3NG0lI

They were expensive new, so I'm surprised to see them recommended here, but I've never looked at SH prices until now. Quick look on completed eBay sales that a realistic price would be circa £450 and up. You didn't set a price, but that's good value for one of those - if it's in good nick.

Any reason why, if you're going for the 24", you don't go the whole hog and get a 26"?

(I've included links to sellers on eBay - where I could find the bikes below)

Dahon Matrix, Espresso or Cadenza (someone's selling two for £500) for example? Or a Montague Swissbike X50? (Though they have the same issue as the Airnimal in that the front wheel needs to come of to fold.).

Can I ask why the particular need for a folder? Is it for storage or for travelling?

some guy with an airnimal is always causing havoc on my morning commute.
Damn things neither fish nor fowl!

Kell

Veteran
A 24" isn't so much cop for travelling - in the UK at any rate - as the rail companies treat folders above 20" wheel sizes as regular bikes, with all the attendant hassle and bollix that goes with it.

How bad are the roads? I mean, I've been to Beirut and the roads round here are no better than there and I manage nicely on a 451 size folder, the largest 20" wheel standard. Larger choice of bikes, it treated as a folder so no restrictions on trainsm a lot less hassle all round.

I think that will depend on the train company. I commuted five days a week for around seven years on a single fold, 26" wheeled bike - On Chiltern Railways.

There was some talk of them bringing in a rule to prevent it, but they never did.

The first bike got run over and bent. The second two both snapped.

When it finally came time to replace it, the threat of possible action from the train company, plus the fact that I often found myself unable to squeeze on to a packed train, meant I went with a Brompton.

Hence me asking about intended use. I wouldn't recommend a big bike for regular commutes, but I would if it's occasional use.

Other factors apply - I mention above I snapped both of my Dahons. I was over the weight limit of the bike - but at no point during the buying process did anyone tell me that.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I imagine that your enthusiasm dwindled a bit after the second one snapped. The first could have been a one off, the second, getting to be a habit. I'm surprised that there wasn't a sticker on it somewhere with dire warnings about various things including weight restrictions which seem to be plastered on everything nowadays.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
as the rail companies treat folders above 20" wheel sizes as regular bikes, with all the attendant hassle and bollix that goes with it.
In my case, a folded bike counts as hand luggage. The size was not specified.
Whether it's advisable to play that card to the extreme is a legitimate question.

Point is, on my way to work I'm leaving the train before most people enter it, so folding is not really necessary. There's enough space. It just for the train rules, that's all.

Where space is scarce, I'll stick with the 20inch Link.

Important to me is that I can fold the frame quickly and very frequently without causing it to wear.
So BMW Montague 28inchers and the like are out of the question

Well in fact I'm locking for second hand bikes. I dont want a 1500€ gem that needs a bodyguard all the time and is only ridden in blue sky days, but also in the winter. A daily driver.
It seems the Castros sell much cheaper than the newer Nodes, that's why I find them interesting.

I want as much speed as possible, but I also want to be able to ride some 18km home from work if the train fails, without pain.
I need a reliable workhorse. I also cant use a racebike without mudguards and proper light with hub generator. What could be added to most bikes though.

I know the Joe, but it seems to be a rather rare one.
The Joe seems to be a cheaper alternative to the eclipse, or how would you judge it?

The first bike got run over and bent. The second two both snapped.
Kell, I hope you didn't get hurt?

Could you tell us more facts about what happened?
This is clearly the most frightening thing that can happen to us...

Kell

Veteran
Kell, I hope you didn't get hurt?

Could you tell us more facts about what happened?
This is clearly the most frightening thing that can happen to us...

I did hurt my knee - and smacked my head/helmet into the ground.

Helmet was replaced and these days it feels like my knee needs to be.

I did have photos somewhere of all the blood coming out my knee and the big egg on my head.

I was going around Marble Arch roundabout, when a driver in the inside lane suddenly realised he was a bout to miss his junction and swung over about three lanes. Including the one I was in.

Side swiped me and started to just drive off. At which point I kicked his door and put a huge dent in it.

I like to think the door damage cost more than the fact I then I had to buy a new bike and helmet, but I doubt it.

Took the bike for assessment as one of the wheels was very buckled and the guy said the whole thing was out of true.

Like most people say when they go through these things, it all happened so quickly I didn’t have time to actually be scared. Didn’t even really feel any pain till later.

As for he speed comment, I’d not heard of Tern castros before, so I looked them up and it says this about their own product on the tern website.

Which led me to believe it’s slow and heavy.

IMG_3639.jpeg

Kell

Veteran
I imagine that your enthusiasm dwindled a bit after the second one snapped. The first could have been a one off, the second, getting to be a habit. I'm surprised that there wasn't a sticker on it somewhere with dire warnings about various things including weight restrictions which seem to be plastered on everything nowadays.

I think it’s a lot to do with knowledge from the staff.

I’d never owned an aluminium bike before - I’d rest ridden a few but never liked how they rode. I always find it harsh and ‘buzzy’ compared to steel - especially when ridden back to back.

So I’d never come across a bike with a weight limit before. But the staff should have known.

I can imagine it might be a sensitive thing to try and bring up with a prospective buyer, but it would have saved me the cost of the new bike I bought. As well as the next Dahon I bought which was about £200 SH. As at that point I still hadn’t found out about the weight limit thing.

In total, that was £1,100 that I wasted on bikes that weren’t suitable.

The only thing I kept from either of them were the ergo grips. Which are now on my Brompton.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
In fact I was also interested in the snapping. How did that happen?
Suddenly without a warning?

Ignore the question if you find it rude - how much do you weigh and how much was the limit?

Snapping a frame or having a joint failing at the wrong moment must be an absolutely disturbing experience too...

Top Bottom