Brooks B17N Imperial: an ongoing review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Velorum said:
Im one of those annoying people that finds B17's comfortable from new and dont need padding.

Ive tried modern alternatives and they dont come close.

The only time I've found my B17 UNcomfortable was when I tried padding (padded shorts), so agree entirely.

Chris James

Über Member
My B17N is supremely comfortable and has massive arse divots in it now. Mind you, it is about four years old. After a ride everything else hurts except my bum.

5 feet 11.5 tall and 11.5 stone if that helps.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It's passed the 500km mark now and no sign of the infamous 'dimples'. That said, it's comfortable and I have no complaints at all, I'm well and truly used to the saddle now. It took a fair amount of micro-adjustment to get it there though. And I would say that it's slightly lower and slightly further forward than my previous saddles, and other saddles on different bikes. I guess that's due to the different (i.e. less sporty) shape of the Brooks.

I did have it nose-up for a while because I was finding that I was slipping forwards on it but now that's stopped and I have it level.

I'll not give it a 'most comfortable saddle' award just yet, I want to give it a decent test (e.g. 200km) before I do that, but it is certainly comfortable.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I have to update this old post, as it approaches its 2nd anniversary!

20,000km on the saddle now, or therearounds, and I notice it not one bit. A firm favourite (pun intended) It's supported me through several 200km + rides (including PBP) without discomfort or pain. It still looks like a solid shiny black instrument of torture, with no sign of the infamous dimples, but I don't ever think of other saddles now. It's true love ;)

Manonabike

Über Member
I have to update this old post, as it approaches its 2nd anniversary!

20,000km on the saddle now, or therearounds, and I notice it not one bit. A firm favourite (pun intended) It's supported me through several 200km + rides (including PBP) without discomfort or pain. It still looks like a solid shiny black instrument of torture, with no sign of the infamous dimples, but I don't ever think of other saddles now. It's true love ;)

Interesting comment. I have 5 brooks saddles and all have the dimples...... the B67 got them after a 20 mile ride, on the other hand, the team pro took ages before the dimples were noticeable.

I'm spending more and more time riding without padded shorts, something that I doubt I could ever do comfortably with other saddles.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My B15 dimpled almost straight away, the Team Pro Classic still hasn't, it is hard as fuggin' granite though!

i almost gave up on trying to break in my black team pro (after couple of thousand miles on the brompton)...i even lent it out to someone on here. i left it in the garage for over a year, the copper rivets turned green and the rails rusted a bit, then i had to use it on a bike due to getting boils off a plastic saddle. hey presto it 'broke' and has been my favourite saddle since, maybe the team pro's just like abuse?

Manonabike

Über Member
I don't know how many miles I rode on the Team Pro before it was broken in but I'm sure it was over 1000. It has spent times on all my bikes at one time or another.

The B17 Special is my favourite saddle.

Garz

Squat Member
It's pleasing to know that others find them a bit slippery when new and that, more importantly, it will go.

I forgot to mention that I did find it quite a hard saddle too. I know it softens up over time so this leads me to ask how frequently people proofhided theirs in the early days. Brooks just say 'often' (or something like that) but is that after every ride, every 50km or wot??.

I have ridden *checks logs* circa 2600 miles and still breaking it in.

It hasn't been uncomfortable per se, and it is far better than the previous San Marco Rolls I used before. I'm hoping when it gets more use it finally beds in.

Top Bottom