We have had the bike criticism saga, now lets do an owner review of the negative points.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
I will start Trek 920! frame. Fork is Al can't use a modern carbon fork as the lower bearing is not 1.5 inches.,.Only 2 bosses on fork instead of 3 each side of fork. No cage mounts on rear stays. Bike looks terrible with 40mm tyres. Trek paint is garbage but its a bike that will be used.Then sizing chart is way out i an 2 sizes down for its intended use. Was originally sold as a drop bar bike ,flats handle better on off road. Now i know most people will not admit to buying the wrong bike or frame, this would help as most bike reviews are funded by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I can't fault my 23 model Genesis Tour de Fer 30 and after putting a 70mm stem and my Brooks saddle on it I have the perfect bike for me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Spa Steel Audax. If forced to find something bad to say about it, I'd say it's a shame that it only takes up to 28mm tyres (with mudguards). I'd like to try bigger ones, but I can't.

Nope, can't think of anything else.

On my Raleigh Motus Grand Tour the rear light cable is routed underneath the mudguard, that plus some inneficient cable routing in general mean the clearance is very tight. I've been able to squeeze a pair of Continental Contact Plus 700*42 in there but its very tight.

IMG-20230324-182152-540-2.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Cube Attain GTC Race (2021 model).

The only thing really that I have found an issue is that it will only take the model of mudguards specifically designed for the bike - and the front mudguard doesn't project far enough forward of the fork.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Well that's beginning to look like the new standard for the lower bearing. Cannondale have had 1.5 for years top and bottom of the headtube. Never needed to replace them, only maintenance was drip oil in the seal between stem and headset.
I forgot about the 15mm bolt thro axle on the fork. Its not an issue if you like non factory wheels ,12mm is the standard now . 15mm bolt thro factory ones will have fewer choices

Jameshow

Veteran
Spa Steel Audax. If forced to find something bad to say about it, I'd say it's a shame that it only takes up to 28mm tyres (with mudguards). I'd like to try bigger ones, but I can't.

Ditto my ridgeback rapide!

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member

Exactly the same thoughts about my steel SPA Audax - it's evolved over the years with a Redshift suspension stem, TRP 957 brake calipers and gets a lot more use than my Roubaix. But I'd still like 30 or 32mm tyres.

Top Bottom