Brooks confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many, Many years ago, I had a Brooks saddle, that came with the bike it was fitted to ( a cheapo British eagle Touristique off of a card in a shop window). I'll be jiggered if I remember which saddle it was, but it was comfy on long rides. Can anyone recommend a Brooks from their latest range, that would be nice and comfy on a long ride?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Other than snapping rails and sagging leather, I've never seen a bad review of a B17. Just got one myself.
It's the breaking-in period that people don't enjoy. Mine is starting to soften a bit now.
But, as a CC Veteran, you've no doubt seen enough threads and posts to know that one mans saddle is another mans medieval torture device.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Regarding brooks' so-called breaking-in period, both my b17 saddles and the team pro were comfy from the off, so I guess it depends if you've a brooksian arse or not. I did have a swift and that was less comfy for me but did mellow a bit, but replaced with the instantly comfy team pro

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If breaking in is a concern, I can cautiously recommend a pre-aged Brooks.

My latest bike has one, it has acquired a nice bit of give in a hundred miles or so.

So it seems to me 'pre-aged' is a bit more than marketing guff.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I like my Brooks saddles but for me they have needed plenty of breaking in. I've currently got a B17 and a Team Pro Classic.

B17: Bought for the Raleigh and despite taking me on lots of long rides it never felt as comfortable as I felt it ought. I came to the conclusion that it was just too wide for me and replaced it with the Team Pro. It sat in a box for a while until I got my Dawes Galaxy last summer when I fitted it as temporary measure and suddenly found it's a lot more comfortable on a touring bike than it was on an upright trekking bike.

Team Pro: I took a punt on it as stated above and immediatey thought I'd made a terrible mistake. Persevering I realised it needed a much racier riding position than I had on the Raleigh. A change of stem and handlebar plus taking time setting up (I had it too far back) sorted that out. I really like this saddle now and it seems to still be getting better with use.^_^

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My new brooks B17 standard arrived yesterday, I treated it with the Brooks Proofide so it is good to go on my Hewitt. I've never owned a Brooks saddle but have always liked the old style when on certain bikes. I have a Specialized Toupe and Charge Spoon on other bikes which I find super comfy so it'll be interesting to compare.

It is likely that your old British Eagle came with a Brooks B17, they were and still are I think the most common.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
My new brooks B17 standard arrived yesterday, I treated it with the Brooks Proofide so it is good to go on my Hewitt. I've never owned a Brooks saddle but have always liked the old style when on certain bikes. I have a Specialized Toupe and Charge Spoon on other bikes which I find super comfy so it'll be interesting to compare.

Sorry, i don't know why but I had an image of the "fist o pain" scene from sponge Bob the moment your rear touched the new B17........

tumblr_o50r6jJm8x1u75st9o1_500.png

Shaun

simon.r

Person
Can anyone recommend a Brooks from their latest range, that would be nice and comfy on a long ride?

B33 on my Pashley is like the proverbial armchair:

s-l225.jpg

Probably wouldn't look right on many bikes though!

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've got a B17 on my road bike and it's the most comfy saddle I've ever ridden. My father-in-law, who gave me the bike, didn't get on with it so it was mouldering away in the corner of his shed for ages (which I guess counts as pre-aged!), it was certainly an unexpected bonus when he dug it out one day.

I would love a sprung Brooks like the one above for my roadster but can't justify the expense unfortunately!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm with @Rickshaw Phil on this,

I like my Brooks saddles but for me they have needed plenty of breaking in. I've currently got a B17 and a Team Pro Classic.

B17: Bought for the Raleigh and despite taking me on lots of long rides it never felt as comfortable as I felt it ought. I came to the conclusion that it was just too wide for me and replaced it with the Team Pro. It sat in a box for a while until I got my Dawes Galaxy last summer when I fitted it as temporary measure and suddenly found it's a lot more comfortable on a touring bike than it was on an upright trekking bike.

Team Pro: I took a punt on it as stated above and immediatey thought I'd made a terrible mistake. Persevering I realised it needed a much racier riding position than I had on the Raleigh. A change of stem and handlebar plus taking time setting up (I had it too far back) sorted that out. I really like this saddle now and it seems to still be getting better with use.^_^

The B17 is too wide for me but the B17n (narrow version) is the most comfy I own along with a B5n (same shape as the 17n but the top is 'dimpled) they were allegedly made with 'inferior' leather but I suspect it was just 'marked' hence the dimpling but they were less expensive and often fitted as OE on 'racing bikes'

Alan O

Über Member
I agree with those who suggest the original saddle was probably a B17 - they say it's been in production since 1898. (My first one was a B17 and was comfy for many thousands of miles after it broke in my bum - I still regret giving it away with the bike it was on)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How wide you want it is position dependant. I also find a B17 too wide on a "normal" road bike. The Swift is the most comfortable for me.
On a bike with flat bars and a more upright position though, I have a flyer which is the same dimensions as a B17. On my Dutch bike, I have a B65 which is even wider.
You could be right, my Swift is on the 653 bike and I've never ridden that for more than 2hrs non-stop however the B17n is on the Ridgeback which is a flat bar tourer (originally a hybrid) and the seat/bar relationship is almost 'flat' level.

RobinS

Veteran
I would be interested to hear how the brooks compares to the Charge Spoon - I have the Charge, but do fancy a nice Brooks saddle, but since the Charge suits me for long multi-month tours I am hesitant about changing!

Top Bottom