Brooks Pro Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I'm a big fan of Brooks saddles, but what is putting me off (and I assume everyone else) is the lack of history.

It looks like a Team Pro with copper rails (currently £80 from Wiggle) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Brooks_Saddles_Team_Pro_Saddle/5360023045 but why has the nameplate been removed? How much use has it actually had? You say 'reasonable condition' but on this one the logo stamped on the side has been worn almost to invisibility; and instead of being smooth and shiny like a normal used Brooks it is completely matt, which suggests that it has been blathered in so much Proofide that it will stretch and sag as soon as it is ridden.

You can get a brand new B17 for not a lot less than your friend is asking, so I think your friend is being a tad unrealistic on price. I might be interested if he can say 'yes, I bought it in xxx and I've done xxx miles on it and it's this colour because...', but at the moment it looks like something he got off an Ebay bike and has tried to restore.

akaAndrew

Have to admit, it looks well worn to me. Maybe that's good for a Brooks, I don't know, but it certainly looks too worn to me.

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

Proper tea is theft [with apologies to Prodhom]
mistral said:
Hey comrade, isn't all property theft?:wacko:

You quote prodhomme...who was an anarchist and not a Communist!....You must distinguish between landed property and say the tools a working man uses etc.....but sadly, i have to survive in a capitalist world and just helping out a mate....but when i do sell something of my own....i sell at a reasonable price [Marx's price theory]....i do not exploit any one and definetley don't make a profit!

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

OK, Ok...i here what you say....remember...i am doing this on someone else's behalf....if you have a question about it...ask me [civilly] and i will ask the owner and give you a reply....no point having a hissy fit or tantrum.....You don't want it fine.....You have a question...i'll get an answer.....but cut out the 'self righteous indignation'.....as in a free market...you can just ignore it.....i'm not forcing anyone to buy it...now am i?.....Oh and as for the ASDA comment.....no on second thoughts i won't bother!

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

As promised, some answers to members questions.....the saddle is fairly old..came off a Dawes tourer....the saddle was dried up and the current owner admits to have put on a 'lot' of Proofide.....but it is not saggy...on the contrary it is rock hard.....I have seen worse......If [and i do mean if]...you are interested...make an offer!

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

Perhaps i took some poor pics of the saddle.....which is now in front of me....The saddle top is waxy with minute ridges in the leather in the central area of the saddle from front to back....but explode?...No.....but it is very hard!...Been a lot of hysteria about this and 99.9% of which has been exaggerated!

ASC1951

Guru
marxist_fixie said:
i sell at a reasonable price [Marx's price theory]....i do not exploit any one and definetley don't make a profit!
Is that the same Marx who never did a single day of what an honest labourer would recognise as work and was kept afloat all his life by a wealthy industrialist's family fortune?

Anyway, back to the saddle. It may be rock hard at the moment, but anything you put "a lot" of Proofide on is likely to sag horribly as soon as it is ridden again, as well as pulling away from the rivet holes where the nameplate used to be. I'll offer him £20 posted. That might well be £20 more than it's worth, but I'll take the risk. Judging from the response here, it may be his only offer.

If he's interested you can email me through my profile.

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

What you said of Marx is a tad misleading.....and could be said of a lot of academics....his approach to history was and still is ground breaking......but i digress.......I will put your offer to my friend and then send you a pm to accept or decline your offer......I wish i had some more response for my own stuff.....which has absolutely no Proofide on it all!

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

A worn out horse for the glue factory is knackered......the saddle in question is well worn....empirical evidence....ie the saddle.....the picture sometimes does not do the object full justice.....i have seen better and seen much worse.

Davidc

Guru
Foundation said:
Surprised they are still in the game. They look awfully dated for the modern bike design.

Simply because enough people find them more comfortable than anything else on the market, and so buy their product, to keep them in the game.

Top Bottom