Brooks Saddle for my hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Large

Duty idiot
I'm fed up with the discomfort of the standard saddle on my bike and will be looking to replace it soon. I had a Charge spoon on my old (stolen) bike, which was ok, but not brilliant, so I will be looking for something else.

I have seen that Brooks saddles are very good once broken in, but are they worth it and if so, which model can anyone recommend.

Any other recommendations welcome, of course.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
. They don't suit everyone, but do suit a lit of people, myself included. If they suit you, then absolutely worth the money.

For the more upright position on a hybrid I'd suggest B17. I ride drop bar bikes myself and slightly prefer team pro, having had both. But B17, which I still have on my tourer, strikes me as better for a more upright ride. Some friends got B17 for their hybrids on my recommendation and were well pleased.

If it turns out it doesn't suit you should be able to fleabay it without losing too much

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another vote for the B17. I don't find it perfect but get on with it far better than the old Charge Spoon and have now done multiple 100+ mile rides on it which would have been impossible on the Spoon.

Some folk find them great straight out of the box. Mine has taken longer but the real breakthrough was finding that it works best for me when set nose up rather than level (so I'm sat further back on the saddle where there is better support).

I've also got a Spa Nidd which is a B17 lookalike and, in my opinion, works well as a budget alternative.

I've noticed that the Audax crowd seem to quite like the Brooks Team Pro mentioned above (the "classic" version is the same price as the standard B17). Since they ought to know a thing or two about long-distance comfort I'm considering trying one of these at some point.

Last edited:

doog

took me 1000 miles to break in my Brooks, im not 100% sure thats ideal :whistle:...but I had no choice, I took it on tour and there was no turning back....its okay now

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I love the B17. ......I have one on my remaining upwrong. Every bicycle of mine had a B17 except my mountain bike. I would recommend the standard version rather than the narrow version.

Newman8

Got a Swallow - was comfy from brand new - no breaking in needed. Comfiest saddle I've ever had - by far! Highly recommend it. They're not cheap but you can easily spend the same money on other brand saddles too.
Would also consider Spa saddles.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I use c17s on all bikes, love them. They're as comfy as a b17 but you can get them as wet and muddy as you like without fear of the saddle sagging.

Top Bottom