brooks saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi :hello:I was looking at a brooks saddle I picked up a demo brompton with a brooks saddle fitted on it and i did not like the feel of saddle to carry bike felt wide in the hand not a nice grip like the brompton saddle I dont no what brooks saddle model it was maybe a it was a wider range saddle? I would not swap brompton saddle for brooks if there not comfortable to carry bike. Anyone use a brooks saddle? How do you find carrying the bike by saddle?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
bearing in mind the saddle is for sitting on rather than carrying the bike - so the question is whether you find brooks saddles confortable. I do, but not everyone gets on with them.

Worrying about whether a different saddle is a better handle is a bit silly

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi:smile: I carry my brompton by the saddle everywhere its comfortable. If i used the brooks saddle I tested I would put a small carry handle on bike frame like the leather raw handles. The brooks saddle I tested is not good for carrying

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've a Brooks saddle on one bike. I don't carry the bike by the saddle and I'm a bit conservative even leaning it on the saddle uncovered. Surely it's better to pick the bike up by the frame, even a Brompton?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have Brooks on a couple of my bikes. They are comfortable but they are also very expensive, especially if they dont suit you. They are also heavy.

I am now changing over to Charge Spoon which are also comfortable but are light and cheap. I love the Charge Spoon. How they can make such a great saddle for such a low price is a mystery.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would hazzard a wild guess that it involves the people making them not being paid very much.

So that would be the same for all those companies who make cheap, crap saddles as well then. Its possible that Charge Spoon can sell them cheap as they sell in such volume.

12boy

Guru
There is a company which makes leather saddles sold under the names of Cardiff, Gyes and Velo Orange. I have 3 Model 6 ones from Vel Orange which I understand are dimensionally similar to a Brooks Professional and I believe are a bit narrower than a B17 narrow. They are made of thick Australian Cowhide and have a laminated bottom and a riveted strap underneath to prevent splaying. They are a bit easier to tighten than the Brooks I also have and I found them comfortable immediately. I like them a bit better than the Brooks at least partially because the saddle rails are 10 mm longer and allow for a little more fore and aft adjustment. By the way, when I carry the Brompton for any distance I like to hang the front of the saddle over my shoulder and stabilize the fork with that hand. Easy peasy and good for stairs and narrow spaces.

Top Bottom