Brown Trouser Moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
steve52 said:
interesting thats profestional tour riders descent speeds well done, they need a mountain to do it if i tuck in down a really steep hill i can hit 46 mph to pedal at that speed i need a cadence of 160+
The road Kestevan is on about loses 430 feet in the first mile. It then eases off a bit.

I've gone down the same hill on a 50-11, and trust me, 45 mph is about right.

I'm not sure Leicester will have its own version of Elland Bypass. :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
you'd really like to think that long vehicles would use such a margin of error that their estimate of spped wouldn't be important

Tynan

Veteran
dondare said:
How you mean?

I blame the design of these vehicles which mean that anything close enough to be in immediate peril cannot be seen by the driver. I don't blame the driver for this.

when did he not see the cyclist?

if you pass something, does it vanish at the moment it goes into a blind spot, or are you supposed to see it as you approach and make necessary allowance?

dear god

dondare

Über Member
Tynan said:
when did he not see the cyclist?

if you pass something, does it vanish at the moment it goes into a blind spot, or are you supposed to see it as you approach and make necessary allowance?

dear god

No, that was me going off at a bit of a tangent, a general comment concerning lorries.
If the lorry was lhd then the cyclist would ( I think ) have been visible in the mirror, had the driver looked. If it was rhd then the cyclist would have disappeared by the time the cab was along side.

I would guess that the driver could not believe that the cyclist could really have been going in excess of 70 kmph.

dondare

Über Member
Tynan said:
you'd really like to think that long vehicles would use such a margin of error that their estimate of spped wouldn't be important

I don't know that road and I don't ever go that fast on a bike but my experience with lorries generally is that they do not leave any margin for error.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
To be honest, despite riding up and dwon that road nearly every worling day for the last 4 years, that's the first close call I've had, and most lorry drivers round here seem a sensible and well behaved lot :biggrin:

It's generally a very safe road, cos it's dual carriageway, and fairly open, people tend to give you plenty of room - most pull right across into the other lane to overtake, both up and downhill.

It's generally far safer than the crowded single lane into Huddersfield.

Gains

Sounds nasty mate, glad you had the alertness to avoid it ok at that speed - speaking of which well done on the speed even if it was downhill or whatever, i start to squirm at 35!lol

Top Bottom