Brussels to Amsterdam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamme

Anyone done it recently? Someone asked about this last year and I messaged on the end of the thread but nobody replied so I opened my own thread.

It seems the LF2 route that used to link the two capitals is defunct. I was told to simply use fietspunt.be to automatically create the quickest route but would prefer something more thought out.

I don't have GPS or a fancy smartphone so something I can download and print or buy as a physical book would be best.

I'm not sure what new information can be offered to you that's not in the other thread?
As was recommended, https://cycle.travel/ will let you download a PDF of your route that I think includes a map.

If you're leaving June 12 there's probably not much time to get maps before you leave (Stanford's may be able to help) but any bookshop in NL will have lots of guides. You may be able to try a tourist office too (VVV). Be warned that trying to put a route like that together using knoopunten by hand can be a pain in the ass - and difficult to follow in cities and the larger towns.

Failing all that, a list of towns along the way you want to go will most likely be enough. There will be signposts. And people to ask.

In case of emergency head for the nearest train station - they normally have bike routes running past and you can get your bearings.

There's some wonderful cycling in those parts and some interesting places to visit. Have a great trip!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah, I think NL have gone a bit far on this one, cutting their long-distance routes from 24 to just 4.

You can probably find an old GPX of LF2 or a list of the junctions it went through, if you search. https://www.fietsknoop.nl/fietsroute/19006144/lf2 seems to be the Rotterdam-Amsterdam section.

An alternative is to join up the remaining routes for another way to do the same thing. The Flemish are still building their F routes, shown in a shape a bit like a plectrum, so F1 is Brussels to Antwerp (although following the "Huevelroute" to Leuven and then F8 to Mechelen before F1 to Antwerp would be closer to the old LF2 as seen on https://www.routeyou.com/nl-be/route/view/116857/overige-routes/lf2-belgie), then F14 is Antwerp to the border at Essen, which would put you within a few miles of LF13 the Schelde-Rhein Route, which you could follow west to Bergen op Zoom to join the (surviving) LF Water Line route to Amsterdam, or follow it east to just south of Breda and then head north on LF9 the NAP Route and finally west on the LF ZuiderZee Route. Neither are as direct as the old LF2 (which was hardly direct itself) but it does follow routes.

Alternatively, F1 to Antwerp, then F6 Schelde Route to the border and LF13 to Middelberg and pick up the LF Kust Route through the Delta Works, Zeeland and up the Duinweg to Haarlem and then follow signs to Amsterdam.

Sorry! Just realised you're going the opposite way!
Books/maps are available in Brussels too!^_^
Although..... The Belgians like to be distinct and you may need a book/map for Belgium and another for NL^_^

Top Bottom