BRVR - Goats League - Climb 23 - Star Wars Canyon, Death Valley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I think I'm caught up with all the spreadsheet updates following my weekend away on a "P!ss up in a brewery!" I think we all deserve a transition stage, and to that purpose I'm throwing in the stunning ride of Star Wars Canyon in Death Valley Nevada. ... Personally I feel that the BRVR team and @ibooij should go back until they do catch the Top Gun pilots from Fighter school training here :biggrin:

30.28Km and 864m of ascent, be warned, it's not an easy pootle, it's all too easy to blow it in the first 15Km and not have anything left for the last part.

profile.starwarscanyon.png

Post your times in the thread and I'll update the Goats League Spreadsheet

Please include your BRVR User/Display Name to give other riders pacers to chase if they so desire.

Last edited:

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Had a crack of this yesterday, gentle spinning and keeping my heart rate below 125. First 10km real easy, as an experiment I set a 350w pacer and was only about 10 seconds behind at the bottom. So no point in going like the clappers on the downhill. It also seemed to confirm that no matter how hard I pedal on a steep downhill section I can't go over 64kph, must be some sort of terminal velocity.
For your next trick I suggest the two Red Rocks Loop circuits back to back with aggregate time for the Goats League:evil:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Had a crack of this yesterday, gentle spinning and keeping my heart rate below 125. First 10km real easy, as an experiment I set a 350w pacer and was only about 10 seconds behind at the bottom. So no point in going like the clappers on the downhill. It also seemed to confirm that no matter how hard I pedal on a steep downhill section I can't go over 64kph, must be some sort of terminal velocity.
For your next trick I suggest the two Red Rocks Loop circuits back to back with aggregate time for the Goats League:evil:
Yeah 64kph is the max speed for me as well. I think it is probably limited to allow the hi quality video to stream. Any faster and you may get the streaming video buffer warning.

Having said that IRL speeds for some of these descents would not be any quicker due to lack of bottle :eek:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I know you've been away @Aleman but that's no excuse for not putting the link to the league in the OP, I came to this thread specifically to have a look at my outstanding rides and to pick one for tonight only to find I'm now going to have to go via another thread to get the info. Rest assured if it happens again I shall be billing you for my time!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
:eek::rofl::rofl:

Funny you should mention billing for time ... It's crossed my mind as well :whistle:

I have corrected my earlier omission ... I blame it on spending 4 days tired and emotional!
:okay:
Your efforts as always are greatly appreciated :smooch:

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

This weeks short climb can be found >>> Here <<<

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That first 15Km is nowhere as easy as it looks.
No it's not, it turns into a bit of a TT trying to keep the power up, so your heart rate is well up and the sweats pouring before you even hit the climb, well it was with me!

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Has anyone watched the Youtube video linked in the description of the ride ... That is freakin' awesome!!! :eek::eek:

Can you imagine what it would be like riding along just minding your own business, and than an A10 Warthog flies over at practically 0 feet!! Or even those F14 Tomcats??? I used to climb in Ogwen Valley in Snowdonia and we regularly had Hawks and Jaguars flying below us. The highlight was a C130 practicing for low level disaster relief drops in Ethiopa following Live Aid ... I swear I could have stepped of the crag, onto one wing, crossed to the other wing, and stepped onto the crag on the other side of the valley, I just filled the space, or appeared to. Incredible cojones those pilots!

SmP-62

Was there a month ago, drove exactly the same road. I was not lucky to see jets inside of a canyon (was waiting on the plato half of hour), only 2 F-18's in low level flight on the flat before the ascent as I stop to make a few photos of the landscape.

Top Bottom