Bryan Chapman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DooBlood

DooBlood

Hi all, thanks to those who read my report, offered advice, answered questions etc. Ian - hope to see you in Paris too (have read a few of your entries and cycled same events but still not sure who you are!). Have a pre reg place for PBP - woo hoo! :biggrin:

Well done, DooBlood - an epic ride - you must feel great! :smile:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hi all, thanks to those who read my report, offered advice, answered questions etc. Ian - hope to see you in Paris too (have read a few of your entries and cycled same events but still not sure who you are!). Have a pre reg place for PBP - woo hoo! :biggrin:

Excellent.

I was the bloke in an Exeter Wheelers jersey.

frank9755

Cyclist
Excellent.

I was the bloke in an Exeter Wheelers jersey.

...In which case, we rode in the same group for a while between first and second controls. I was in the group which caught up with you, wearing a purple, black and white striped Westerley club jersey.

Frank

yello

I was in the group which caught up with you

...but only because he let you ;) he coulda left you behind easy-peasy!

Well done Frank and Ian. We'll have to have a CCer's PBP roll call before the off. It'll be interesting to see who's on the start line and follow their progress with the web tracking thingy.

frank9755

Cyclist
...but only because he let you ;) he coulda left you behind easy-peasy!

We were only in a position to catch him because he'd ridden faster beforehand! He then did a good turn or two at the front and helped us keep moving.

DooBlood, thanks for your write-up which I enjoyed reading. I'll post something soon. It was a real experience - to be honest I'm still mentally processing it - highs and lows, endorphins and pain, beautiful scenery and torrential rain, shivering with cold at the start of a 50 mile night stage then warming up and riding it on my own through Snowdonia in silence, by the light of the full moon; I'll never look at a map of Wales in the same way again!

yello

highs and lows, endorphins and pain, beautiful scenery and torrential rain, shivering with cold at the start of a 50 mile night stage then warming up and riding it on my own through Snowdonia in silence, by the light of the full moon; I'll never look at a map of Wales in the same way again!

If that's a preview of things to come, then I think your write up will be every bit as good a read as DooBloods!

Congrats on finishing. It sounds like it was a tough ride (I've been reading yacf too). The deep satisfaction, the inner glow, you get from finishing something like that is incredible. Difficult to describe to anyone else. Enjoy it. You've earned it.

zigzag

Veteran
everything went according to the plan, drawn out of thin air. weather forecast - spot on so no surprises there. rode hard for first 200k, then took it easy (as i got tired). the route and scenery were fantastic, as well as support and organisation - i can see why this is the flagship 600! i've taken some photos but they don't do the justice. my ride went flawlessly, but i emphathise with those few riders who decided to pack - it's a challenging ride and wind+rain wasn't making it easier! well done to everyone, it was an epic journey. briefly met DooBlood while second time at kings yha, he looked knackered, but had a big smile on his face :thumbsup:. i have finished late afternoon and was in bristol just in time for dinner.

now that the pbp qualifiers are done, how do i find motivation to do IanH's tough 600 in two weeks?

photos here

Greenbank

Über Member
now that the pbp qualifiers are done, how do i find motivation to do IanH's tough 600 in two weeks?

Come and laugh at me, the K&SW 600 is my PBP qualifier.

Starting out from Chepstow on the back of a throat/chest was probably iffy but it felt manageable. As we started to climb gently I noticed the usual lack of power on the climb. Remembering the route from a fortnight ago I set sail for the first control. The only memorable part of this section was the “ “in the white car fully in my lane hurtling towards me, I slowed more in hope and “ “managed to find his own lane at the last gasp! Service excellent at the control which was a shortish stop and onwards alone. Later spotted Ian from Cornwall and chased him for what seemed ages. I eventually came across Steve and a few others leapfrogging onwards in the wind towards Control 2. Red Kite was slow so onto the visitor center this leg was demoralizing, enjoyment virtually nil along with energy levels. Packing a new word for me but it crossed my mind a few times I was drained. Onwards reluctantly hoping for a miracle recovery on the leg front. Then it was time for a deluge, oh joy out with the all wet gear and the accompanying noise from the chaffing garments. That really bugged me. Up some hills and I was alone again and thoroughly miserable. Past the lights not too much hassle but needed a quick stop for munchies. On to the Hostel read the distance wrong and was searching for the turn for 3 or 4km what a Wally. I got rescued by a fellow cyclist who knew where it was and rode up in the wrong gear “it all helps” and finally found the hostel. I had the food on offer again still praying for this miracle recovery. Just as we were about to press on the heavens opened again, we waited a short while and rode off towards the lumpy bit. Intermittent rain and then the red sky offered hope for day 2. Still weary and very wet we plugged on and on. Next memorable bit the climb up Pen Y Pass a long drag that went on forever or so it seemed. It wasn’t steep though so we just ground it out over the top past some what looked like well oiled characters and down a wet descent; my brakes were only semi useful so gripped and hoped as usual. Cold now, very cold onwards over the bridge to Menaii. Thoroughly can’t really explain what, didn’t want to really eat or drink or even fill my bottles; I really couldn’t be bothered with anything. Tired I suppose, anyway ate something, did the bottles and set off freezing into the early hours hoping again for a miracle ride to the hostel, I want to go to bed. As it started to turn light I managed to lose Steve and I was getting worried I had been weaving quite a lot and it was getting worse it couldn’t be far now. Bang I hit something probably a cat eye opened my eyes and looked at my computer going downhill at 48KM I need that hostel. 10 seconds later, sssssssssssssss flat rear. I stood for about 30 seconds just looking at the bike hoping it would inflate itself . That was 5.30 am after 2 attempts at a fix and no more tubes, no gas and only a useless mini pump I headed with a less than half inflated tyre towards the hostel standing to keep some weight off the rear. I pushed the hill to the Hostel and met Rod and some others just leaving around 7.10 !!!!! He told me I could still do it, I reluctantly against the way I felt decided to believe him. Signed in 7.13 for an hours kip and probably had 25 mins proper kip. Up changed gear, stuffed everything else in bags ready for the mission. I borrowed a pump off the kind chap at the hostel and underinflated it thinking I had done it properly. 9.00 ish now the chap said I was lantern rouge so I looked forward to a solo 220 odd km back (if only).
As I roared off at top speed I noticed the rear wheel seemed a bit off true and the tyre was not inflated well at all I thought I had a slow but without any way of doing anything about it I decided on a do or die see how far I actually get. I pushed the last steep bit of the climb as I didn’t really want to rock on that back wheel and tyre. Down the hill I didn’t know what to do, I was still tired and mentally shot and just slowed the descent a bit then let rip near the bottom. A while later I was starting to weave again, I hadn’t had time for a coffee at Kings. I passed a café so shot in for caffeine. 6/7 mins later I was off again feeling a little more awake. Reaching Aber. Control a chap kindly made me a coffee as I was still incapable. A quick pump up later (thanks people) I was off again. I was feeling a little more optimistic now, apart from not finding my way well I started to climb and climb and climb missing the Knighton turn and finding myself in the next “county or district” according to the road signs. I was furious and ranting like a madman WTF was this turn off, I didn’t have time and this could kill my ride after everything else I was gutted. I was also mad, mad means give it welly, I rode up the hill and back down the other side of my 15KM detour at pace or so it seemed. Found the turn easy from that direction. Oh joy a bloody steep hill. Up and over then I bump into some cows with horns, a bit wary I crept past them and onwards giving it loads. Got to Bampton Bryan and missed a line on the route sheet, fearing I was “off again” I turned dropped the front wheel in a groove and fell off sideways into a hedge. I was sat in stinging nettles with the bike on top of me and couldn’t release cleat to escape. Getting thoroughly stung I managed to release the cleat and extract myself from the hedge. I sorted the bike out and was on my way, leg was stinging from the nettles. I found the dirty lane climb and after a while got stuck behind a horse, what next. Well it’s a time thing still so to the last control stock up on water and go. The rollercoaster was tough; the vibrations from the surface killed me. One hill was worse than anything we’d met or it seemed like it. I thought I was on target now IF there was no more surprises in store. After navigating the short cut “got lost again” I 102 mins left from Monmouth, set off and met a chap called Gary and chatted on the ride back to Chepstow he said he’d had a rough time. It may have been the GARY; I thought I had had problems. We poured it on up the climb as it wasn’t too bad and I tired getting past the racecourse, just round the corner and we were back in time. I was ecstatic, that was unbelievable I thought my mission was undoable. Met up with the Devon crew and exchanged congrats etc. WOW a 6.

everything went according to the plan, drawn out of thin air. weather forecast - spot on so no surprises there. rode hard for first 200k, then took it easy (as i got tired). the route and scenery were fantastic, as well as support and organisation - i can see why this is the flagship 600! i've taken some photos but they don't do the justice. my ride went flawlessly, but i emphathise with those few riders who decided to pack - it's a challenging ride and wind+rain wasn't making it easier! well done to everyone, it was an epic journey. briefly met DooBlood while second time at kings yha, he looked knackered, but had a big smile on his face :thumbsup:. i have finished late afternoon and was in bristol just in time for dinner.

photos here

Oh yes they do, and add to the written descriptions. Well done, Rimas and, of course, everyone who accepts a challenge of this nature.

IMGP0463.jpg

Nuncio

Über Member
I was rooting for you there slowerthanmyshadow. Yet another tale of triumph over adversity from this year's Bryan Chapman - they make by far the best stories. That must have been Garry Broad at the end - he had to have two chainstays welded back at Rhayadr after 100km. I'm not sure of the veracity of this but I was also told that he left his wallet and brevet card behind at the garage, had to return down the A44 to get them, and back into that head wind - yet still had time to true other riders wheels (but not to get any sleep) and finish with 10 minutes to spare.

My BCM report would be boring in comparison. Just the one puncture after 16km to set me and my wheelmate as lanternes rouge for a while - but no wrong turns, falls, tightness for time, vomitings, mechanicals, or need to sleep in ditches. Neither did we set any records, coming home by 19:20 having had two hours sleep in a proper bed. With a duvet! I did feel pretty miserable on the Trwasfynnydd/Dolgellau stretch, but that was my 4th BCM and I know that a bit of rest at Kings YH sets me up for a good day 2.

Thanks, as a first ride over 400 that an experience and a half. I learned loads

1 Take better weather kit

2 Take better puncture kit

3 Don't do it again :biggrin:

I wanted to know how i'd be with only 2/3 hours sleep. I know its crap with less than an hour.

OP
OP
DooBlood

DooBlood

Awesome story Slowerthan my shadow, very gripping. I thought I had it bad .... Well done! I also learned 'don't do it again'! Are we gonna see you in Paris? :whistle:

Top Bottom