BSA 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Is this the correct section?, as there isn't a Dept 'shopping'.

Such a lovely morning, I'm taking the BSA 20 out for a little trip.

I'm going to the Perry Barr 'One Stop' to see if they still sell the giant samosas I enjoyed in the nineties. Barbeque tonight !!

Then to the Ladypool Rd "Balti Triangle" for some Spices and Barfi, ( not in the same recipe ).

Got to wear cycle shorts under my rugby shorts, but otherwise its Tee shirt and deckie shoes with no socks.

BSA 20 with Garmin Edge 605. Who would credit it?

PpPete

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
BSA 20 with Garmin Edge 605. Who would credit it?

Sounds like a good combo to me!

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
I'm taking the BSA 20 out for a little trip.
I wouldn't have another Norton Commando - like most British bike makers, they went bust for good reason - but I do keep trying to persuade myself to get one of the new Triumphs.

I was pedalling along the back road to Otley yesterday and was passed by a clattering of valves, the rich smell of Castrol and an Ariel Square Four...

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
I wouldn't have another Norton Commando - like most British bike makers, they went bust for good reason - but I do keep trying to persuade myself to get one of the new Triumphs.

I was pedalling along the back road to Otley yesterday and was passed by a clattering of valves, the rich smell of Castrol and an Ariel Square Four...

A BSA "20" is the same frame and componentry as a Raleigh "Shopper". Its called a "20" because it has 20 x 1 3/8" tyres.
The Raleigh company of Nottingham used the BSA name to apply to variations of it's own bicycles.

Mine has a 3 speed Sturmey hub, a Sturmey front Dynohub, full lampset ( which is permanently on ) and rear rack with carrybag.
Mine has the 'one-peice' stem and handlebar - so that's not a new idea :rolleyes:

Mine is geared 39/52/69 inches and spends most of its time in top.
Front wheel is 28 hole, and rear is 40 hole.

PS. The shopping trip was fruitless. Meat yes, bread yes, but no fruit. :smile:

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
A BSA "20" is the same frame and componentry as a Raleigh "Shopper". Its called a "20" because it has 20 x 1 3/8" tyres.
The Raleigh company of Nottingham used the BSA name to apply to variations of it's own bicycles.
Ah. :rolleyes: And here was me thinking you meant the BSA M20, which at 60 mph had a similar top speed to your shopper.

Actually, I used to have a Raleigh BSA cycle as my first 'proper' bike. That must have been just after Raleigh bought the name and rights from Birmingham Small Arms, the same people who made the motorbikes.

ASC1951

Guru
threebikesmcginty said:
Me too. Although mine was a second hand 'special' with drop bars and a Sturmey Archer three speed. Red though, so a bit faster than other colours.
Knowing my dad, I'm sure my Proper Bike was second hand as well; and red, as you say.

I later insisted on having the singlespeed replaced by a 5 speed derailleur and when I rode it back from the bike shop I spent so much time watching the chain going up the block and back down again that I rode it clean into the ditch.

Top Bottom