BSA/Raleigh? Identification help please 🙏

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

L4ndSh4rk

Pump the tyres up and go for a gentle ride around a park to see what works and doesn't. Take it home and fix those issues then ride and enjoy.
Oh and welcome to cyclechat @L4ndSh4rk

Well it seems everything moves quite freely and easier except the chain and tires. Haven't tried pumping them up yet but the chain literally fell apart when I pulled on it to try and get it back on the crank. The shifting cable is starting to fray so I'll do that but yeah from what I could tell everything seems to be moving OK. Thanks for the help and the welcome 🙂

OP
OP
L

L4ndSh4rk

It's an 86. Same frame was sold as a Raleigh and Triumph.

Were inexpensive when new at about £89-99, and not worth much now.

Likely to ride comfortably, if in an unexciting manner. Only worth spending on a full resto if you have some kind of attachment, but deffo worth a clean up to get it looking nicely tidy and running well.

Not certain, but I don't think the wheels are original, most likely would have had standard issue Raleigh group chromed rims. Those are from possibly a Claud Butler of the era, or another similar middling quality source - they're probably worth as much as the whole bike.

Yeah no attachment. So I think I'll just do what others have recommended and do an oily rag restoration. Really just wanted it to cruise around on when the weather is nice. I don't think I'll use it for commuting do to the style of the shifters 😅. Thanks for the information

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Seems to share some similarities with my 1987 Raleigh Routier..

Shifters and brake levers look the same, crankset similar although mine has a guard. Back end is different as mine's 5sp and the "BSA" appears to be 6/7sp. Frame is subtly different, although I suspect the same budget gas pipe.

For reference my Routier was an entry-level pseudo touring bike that I think shared its frame with various other low-end Raleigh offerings with various different aesthetics / pretensions.

Perhaps this BSA was a little further up the range..? Regardless probably not worth chucking a lot of money at; although absolutely worth saving if you can do so :smile:

12x8_img_5712a-jpg.jpg

Top Bottom