BSA/Raleigh? Identification help please 🙏

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L4ndSh4rk

Hello I found this bike in a shed we were tearing down and just wanted a bit of help with the identification. I've done a bit of research but still have nailed down for sure which bike it is and when it was made. Its got BSA logo and decals but it has a sticker that says manufactured by Raleigh. There are 3 numbers I've found on the frame so far. First is on the back of the seat post ND6136093. Second is on the bottom between the pedals and says 59247. Third one is very small just above the front forks a small number 61. I know the seat is a replacement but I was wondering if anyone could tell through the rust how much was original.

Thanks in advance for any help or information

20240215_092003.jpg

20240215_092011.jpg

20240215_092017.jpg

20240215_092023.jpg

20240215_092034.jpg

20240215_092043.jpg

OP
OP
L

L4ndSh4rk

I'd like to try and restore it (if it's worth restoring) and keep as much original if possible

midlife

Guru
The ND6 in the long number is the code for place / month / year of manufacture.

Raleigh Nottingham, March 1976 or 1986. (the 6 could be either 1976 or 1986 the under BB guides and top tube cable guides look after 1976....the nutted brakes and suicide brake levers look like 1976)

Id have to have a think lol

Try and find BSA info from that year and see if anything matches. Might not as BSA bikes appeared in catalogues (like Grattans) and not in shops

The BSA decals could have been added at any time though

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks to be all original apart from the noted saddle. Hasn't had a huge amount of use according to the chain set. It's a low end model , there's no integral frame mounted hanger for the rear derailleur and band on shifters, frame is plain gauge steel. Rims are alloy as I can't see any rust. ? Made for the youth market so could have been bought from a catalogue. Smallish frame size.
A full restoration would be expensive but you could do what we call a 'oily rag' restoration where you clean it up and treat the rust, replace the cables and tyres to make it rideable. Check the seat post moves in the frame.
Is it your size? Nice find for nowt.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

Raleigh Nottingham, March 1976 or 1986. (the 6 could be either 1976 or 1986 the under BB guides and top tube cable guides look after 1976....the nutted brakes and suicide brake levers look like 1976)

Try and find BSA info from that year and see if anything matches. Might not as BSA bikes appeared in catalogues (like Grattans) and not in shops

If the cranks are original, or an attempt to use period parts, I'd go with 1986. SR Custom crankset is from the 80's.

"Suicide Levers", I fitted new to a bike in the mid eighties.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I wouldn't spend too much on it. There's a similar bike on Facebook for £20 and it's in nice condition.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/907570774489518/

Drago

Legendary Member
It's an 86. Same frame was sold as a Raleigh and Triumph.

Were inexpensive when new at about £89-99, and not worth much now.

Likely to ride comfortably, if in an unexciting manner. Only worth spending on a full resto if you have some kind of attachment, but deffo worth a clean up to get it looking nicely tidy and running well.

Not certain, but I don't think the wheels are original, most likely would have had standard issue Raleigh group chromed rims. Those are from possibly a Claud Butler of the era, or another similar middling quality source - they're probably worth as much as the whole bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

L4ndSh4rk

Thanks for that. Yeah this is why I wasn't sure what year it actually was.

OP
OP
L

L4ndSh4rk

Looks to be all original apart from the noted saddle. Hasn't had a huge amount of use according to the chain set. It's a low end model , there's no integral frame mounted hanger for the rear derailleur and band on shifters, frame is plain gauge steel. Rims are alloy as I can't see any rust. ? Made for the youth market so could have been bought from a catalogue. Smallish frame size.
A full restoration would be expensive but you could do what we call a 'oily rag' restoration where you clean it up and treat the rust, replace the cables and tyres to make it rideable. Check the seat post moves in the frame.
Is it your size? Nice find for nowt.

It's a bit smaller than what I usually ride but not so much that it makes too much of a difference. Yeah I think oily rag resto is going to be the way to go. Thanks for the information and help 👍

Top Bottom