Help identifying please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I've recently been given my Grandads bike. He passed away earlier this year in February. I'd love to renovate this but keep it as original as possible.

I literally have no idea apart from its a Raleigh! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

• 20230727_191700.jpg
    20230727_191700.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230727_191706.jpg
    20230727_191706.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230727_191720.jpg
    20230727_191720.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230727_191737.jpg
    20230727_191737.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230727_191743.jpg
    20230727_191743.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 54

netman

Veteran
Looks like a Raleigh Superbe to me - only made from 1948 to 1985 or so! You should be able to get a date from the Sturmey Archer hub on the back wheel...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like early fifties, a good old Raleigh ride to work bike. I'm sure someone will give you the exact model.
If you want to do a full restoration it won't be cheap. You'll need to strip it down into its components, clean them up and power coat the frame. Decals can be had from H.Lloyd on the net. Good you've got the tyres, the originals would likely be perished.
The back brake looks like a 'coaster', (pedal backwards) brake.
You will find some videos on YouTube which will help. Monkey Shred has a few.
Or you could do an 'oily rag' resto.

View: https://youtu.be/SeC7OSNhwsM

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
Looks like early fifties, a good old Raleigh ride to work bike. I'm sure someone will give you the exact model.
If you want to do a full restoration it won't be cheap. You'll need to strip it down into its components, clean them up and power coat the frame. Decals can be had from H.Lloyd on the net. Good you've got the tyres, the originals would likely be perished.
The back brake looks like a 'coaster', (pedal backwards) brake.
You will find some videos on YouTube which will help. Monkey Shred has a few.
Or you could do an 'oily rag' resto.

View: https://youtu.be/SeC7OSNhwsM

Thank you! That's exactly what it was! My Grandad brought it and rode it to work when he worked on the land. He's had it for years! He regularly used to ride it up to about 3 years ago. I have one new tyre, I need to source another. I'll look into the videos you suggested on YouTube 👍🏻

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll need a few tools of course but not many.
Those cotter pins which secure the cranks will be real barstewards to remove, try to preserve them as the new ones are not anywhere near the quality. Rest looks in reasonable condition.
Nice project if you like that sort of thing and something you can hand down which has a family history plus you can use it as well.
You can adapt a suspension splitter tool:

View: https://youtu.be/kmC-6qg8AL4

Last edited:
That should shine up nicely with some TLC and elbow grease. As alluded to already, heaps of tutorials out there on the tube that will offer good guidance and ideas for how far to go with the resto. Nice project, best of luck with it :okay:

OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
You'll need a few tools of course but not many.
Those cotter pins which secure the cranks will be real barstewards to remove, try to preserve them as the new ones are not anywhere near the quality. Rest looks in reasonable condition.
Nice project if you like that sort of thing and something you can hand down which has a family history plus you can use it as well.
You can adapt a suspension splitter tool:

View: https://youtu.be/kmC-6qg8AL4

Hi mate,

Thank you! Really appreciate that! I will definitely be using it once I've got it road worthy.

OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
That should shine up nicely with some TLC and elbow grease. As alluded to already, heaps of tutorials out there on the tube that will offer good guidance and ideas for how far to go with the resto. Nice project, best of luck with it :okay:

Thank you 😊 I can't wait to get going with it! Works busy at the moment and I'm away a lot. Buy I'll get there. Thank you

Big John

Guru
I actually had one from new for my 21st birthday off my parents. Most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Had it stolen in about 1994 and never saw it again. I don't remember mine having a coaster brake though. Good luck with the restoration 👍

OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
I actually had one from new for my 21st birthday off my parents. Most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Had it stolen in about 1994 and never saw it again. I don't remember mine having a coaster brake though. Good luck with the restoration 👍

Thanks John! Oh no! What a nightmare! I'm not sure when my grandad brought his or how much for. My nan can't remember. I'm not sure if it has. I'll find out the hard way when I get on it 😂

Top Bottom