Help identifying please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't remember mine having a coaster brake though. Good luck with the restoration 👍
Sorry, I was wrong, the brake caliper is under the chain stays.

OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
Oily rag preservation would be best in my opinion as it looks great and has a lot of history now. Hope its in good nick mechanically.

What's an oily rag preservation? I think it is, I hope it is 😂 My Grandad riding it up to a few years ago before he was too poorly to ride.

OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
It has a rear dynamo hub gear, not a coaster brake. 650A tyres are fairly easy to find (Michelin & Schwalbe amongst others). Nice to have the complete chaincase.

He already has one new tyre with it. I've just ordered another off of ebay for £13 Inc p&p! I think it's all present and correct with parts. I don't think anything is missing

I can remember my dad buying my mum one second hand , it was a ladies bike . She wasn't very happy with it as it weighed a ton ! She refused to ride it . I can't remember what happened to it. I assume that it must still be where they used to live .

OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
I can remember my dad buying my mum one second hand , it was a ladies bike . She wasn't very happy with it as it weighed a ton ! She refused to ride it . I can't remember what happened to it. I assume that it must still be where they used to live .

I've got a Scott Aspect 29er mountain bike and this Raleigh weighs an absolute tonne compared to that 😂 It's different gravy in materials but I can't wait to be able to ride it! See how it feels compared to the Scott!

What's an oily rag preservation? I think it is, I hope it is 😂 My Grandad riding it up to a few years ago before he was too poorly to ride.

Basically just wiping it all over with some oil on a cloth. I gave one of my bikes a going over with some bees wax polish which seems to have worked .
If there are areas which are covered in old oil and grease you could clean it off with white spirit prior to polishing it up . It is amazing how much better a bike can look after a clean and polish .

OP
OP
mattyedmonds83

mattyedmonds83

Regular
Basically just wiping it all over with some oil on a cloth. I gave one of my bikes a going over with some bees wax polish which seems to have worked .
If there are areas which are covered in old oil and grease you could clean it off with white spirit prior to polishing it up . It is amazing how much better a bike can look after a clean and polish .

Ahhh ok I get it. I'll definitely give that a go! I want to keep it as original as possible. I don't mind a bit of aesthetic rust. I'll get the tyres swapped over. Give it a good clean then try some of the bees wax a go 👍🏻

Gillstay

Über Member

And if its really rusty I just treat it with a little bit of rust converter that sends it black. Otherwise as people have said, wax / oil it but have it mechanically good and safe. Mate has an E type kept on that basis.

Top Bottom