BSkyB and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the Guardian

The famously green James Murdoch is struggling to persuade staff at BSkyB, where he is non-executive chairman, of the importance of pedal power. Despite much promotional activity, an internal poll of Sky workers found that 82.12 per cent would "never" cycle to work. That's a bit embarrassing, especially given the company's sponsorship of the Team Sky pro-cycling team and its backing of Boris Johnson's Skyride scheme.

;)

sheddy

Legendary Member
Never ? that may depend on the price of fuel !

theboytaylor

Also, isn't the Sky UK HQ right on the A4 nr Brentford? I used to cycle to a job near there many moons ago and it's a right f**king nightmare. Dual carriageway from every direction iirc.

The location, nr the A4 and M4 and a train station, probably attracts a lot of people from further afield because they know they can drive / get the train there.

Also, I seem to recall Cycling Plus giving Sky quite a big thumbs up for its cycling facilities and encouraging people to take up cycling - big secure bike park and lots of showers, etc, but it's very hard to change the mindset.

At my office everyone knows I ride in (I'm the only one who does - out of 30 of us) so I'll often be asked about my commute / comments on the weather esp at about 5pm. They almost always finish the conversation with a shudder, saying "I could never do THAT!". Why? They just can't get their heads round why you'd do it or how you'd go about it and nothing I say changes their minds.

trsleigh

Hilldodger said:
From the Guardian

The famously green James Murdoch is struggling to persuade staff at BSkyB, where he is non-executive chairman, of the importance of pedal power. Despite much promotional activity, an internal poll of Sky workers found that 82.12 per cent would "never" cycle to work. That's a bit embarrassing, especially given the company's sponsorship of the Team Sky pro-cycling team and its backing of Boris Johnson's Skyride scheme.

:wacko:

Also there's an in-company branch of Wizzbike.

Top Bottom