BSO Superstars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Here in Ippo Rock City I'm seeing more and more folk out on those 'Probike' BSO (bike shaped object) things, and invariably they are crunching, grinding, squeaking, chequenting* and curtinkling*. But this isn't a snobby post about crap bikes, oh no...

Some of the folk I see on a regular basis biff along at a fair old rate even although they are riding on barely inflated tyres and have chainsets that are more rust than metal and chains that are so dry they're sparking like a De Lorian at 88mph** , One Probike pedaller lady in particular I see is always going the same constant speed (approx 15mph I reckon) with the same un-flinching look of determination regardless of weather, traffic or incline, and this is in spite of the fact that her seat is so low her knees reach her ears*** and she's reaching for her handlebars with a stretch that makes Fonda in 'Easy Rider' look like he has T-Rex type arms.

So my point is this - on this forum we're always telling folk that switching from a MTB to road bike will revolutionise their cycling experience, so if these BSO battlers were to try a fancy pants roadie would they steal all our Strava segments?

Is Brailsford looking in the wrong place for Britain's next cycling superstar? Should he wander the streets offering hard-suffering BSO cyclists if they fancy a pop on Bradley's Dogma? Is a BSO the ultimate training bike?

*made up words
** exaggeration, perhaps
*** not far off to be hoenst

Cheddar George

oober member
* Don't worry about made up words ...... the Guardian use "embiggen" yesterday.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
* Don't worry about made up words ...... the Guardian use "embiggen" yesterday.

It's a perfectly promulent word...

JebediahSpringfield12-14-2010-2.jpg

Cheddar George

oober member
I was recently driving behind a lady who was cycling over a large bridge on her shopper bike (basket on the front, rack on the back), she was standing up out of the saddle weaving from side to side across the road. It was obvious to me that she would have a lot more control if she changed from the smallest sprocket on the cassette. I was initially quite irritated by this but i eventually got to thinking, like Andrew, that it was actually an impressive feat for a lady (late 50's/early 60's), wearing a skirt, to honk up an incline in top gear with her shopping. It is highly likely that the bike has been in the same gear since Ted Heath was Prime minister.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
My God, I don't think I've ever seen so many similes in the same place!

I know, it's the literary equivalent of a greedy child filling his pockets with sticky buns, which in turn is like a cat dropping one mouse to go after another two only for the original point of the exercise (i.e the first mouse) escaping.

Davidc

Guru
So Andrew is travelling around shouting

"GO BSO GO"

Cheap bikes suit some people, inspire others to move on to greater things, and put yet another group off cycling, for life.

Everyone to what suits them, after all on CC different people enjoy different forms of cycling and on bikes which range from £10 from ebay to £1000s of pounds of fast road bike, and levels of accessories from £10 worth of lights from Lidl to £1000s worth of bits and clothing.

Yes, I cringe at some of the bikes around, but I don't criticise anyone for being on 2 wheels pedalling instead of in a tin box on 4 wheels polluting the air and making a noise.

Top Bottom