B'Twin Elops520 or alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I've had a reet good clear out this last week, when one bike is collected next weekend I'll have gone from 8 bikes to just 1. I love Ebay.:okay:

My remaining bike is a good hybrid and that's my needs just about covered, apart from my canal to Leeds boozing jaunts. I've been looking for an upright cruiser or Dutch bike for ages, just to pootle the 20 or so mile round trip, but I've not seen any cruisers (in my price range) that don't appear to be shoddy things under the style and new Dutch bikes are also out of my price range, sub £500 because I need 2, MrsF wants one.

The Decathlon Elops look just the thing and astonishing value, I know they are 19kg, but I won't care after a few beers.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-520-classic-bike-blue-id_8500065.html

Anything else I should consider before I take the plunge?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Anything else I should consider before I take the plunge?

Sounds like what you really need is an old-school 3-speed roadster, since you already have a hybrid.
I picked up a functioning parts donor one the other week for a quid. Transport to the pub doesn't get any cheaper than this, and a canal towpath combined with generous beer consumption is NOT the best circumstances to ride a decent new bike in. One of my work colleagues recently managed to put himself and his Apollo MTB into the Grand Union after too much beer. He often rides whilst pissed, so I'm surprised he hasn't done it before. Or maybe he has, but won't 'fess up......

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
We have a hard final climb from the canal to home so we'd need at more than 3 gears. Plus, MrsF wants a new bike and tbh it's time I had one too, can't find anything similar & decent at a comparable price, it's a lot of canal bike for £250!

2928628_1.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No question about it, Decathlon offers outstanding value cycling stuff. I buy bits and bobs from them myself. However, consider this; the bike you have pictured is essentially a hybrid, albeit with a taller than average head tube. Will it do a pub crawl better than your current hybrid? Or is the main criteria a very upright riding position?
Mind you I have more than one very similar hybrid, although only the horribly ratty one ever gets used for pub & shopping trips due to the risk of theft.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
No question about it, Decathlon offers outstanding value cycling stuff. I buy bits and bobs from them myself. However, consider this; the bike you have pictured is essentially a hybrid, albeit with a taller than average head tube. Will it do a pub crawl better than your current hybrid? Or is the main criteria a very upright riding position?
Mind you I have more than one very similar hybrid, although only the horribly ratty one ever gets used for pub & shopping trips due to the risk of theft.

My hybrid is completely different, it's quite sporty, head quite down, carbon forks..... and I use it for everything, long tours, commuting, shopping, the lot. I want to enjoy the canal rides more, it's a really pleasurable ride, I just want to tootle along and I want a head up, raised position, a more comfortable bike for the variable towpath.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Okay, only three gears and weighs a ton, but how about

Elephant Bike

The plus being that they send a bike to Africa for every one sold. Far cooler than the Decathlon bike, according to my kids’ friends, and you can get a slab of beers on the font rack:okay:

Thanks for that link, it was very interesting and .............I like them. But..........................MrsF definitely needs more gears, me not so, being ripped and buff I would most likely use only one anyway. But.............I know that the project will appeal to her and she'll like the bikes too. I think I will sell them to her by telling her the 3 gears will help her shift some weight.:okay:

Thanks for that link, it was very interesting and .............I like them. But..........................MrsF definitely needs more gears, me not so, being ripped and buff I would most likely use only one anyway. But.............I know that the project will appeal to her and she'll like the bikes too. I think I will sell them to her by telling her the 3 gears will help her shift some weight.:okay:
Have no illusions it is very heavy, I wouldn’t want you to end up with something not fit for purpose

Top Bottom