BTwin - go for better frame or components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I can see and respect the idea of buying cheep if it's just going be a 'run around' sort of bike. But as others have said you still want to enjoy the ride and feel like you are happy to be seen riding it just because its riding to work it's still riding a bike. You are going to have days when you don't feel like using it last thing you need is a bike that you don't like at the best of times. One thing to also think about is riding a heavy bike is one thing but moving it around once you get off it is another depending on your home and work storage access as one example. Also buying new and being new to cycling you have some security that it's not going to brake after the 1st few miles.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can see and respect the idea of buying cheep if it's just going be a 'run around' sort of bike. But as others have said you still want to enjoy the ride and feel like you are happy to be seen riding it just because its riding to work it's still riding a bike. You are going to have days when you don't feel like using it last thing you need is a bike that you don't like at the best of times. One thing to also think about is riding a heavy bike is one thing but moving it around once you get off it is another depending on your home and work storage access as one example. Also buying new and being new to cycling you have some security that it's not going to brake after the 1st few miles.
You do hope it’ll brake...but not break ;)

The wheels do make a difference. I have a Triban 560 with a Carbon frame, a Tiagra 10 speed groupo, ( every bit as good as the 5700 105 groupo )and Aksiums, I also have an alloy Ultra 720 AF ( the predecessor of the 920 AF ) with Ultegra 11 speed groupo, and Mavic Cosmic Elites. The 720s better groupo and wheels trump any advantage of the Carbon frame.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Both my road bikes have 105 5800 and I've never felt short-changed.

Personally I'd go for the better frame - on a couple of really poorly surfaced roads near here my carbon bike soaks it up better than the alu one.
You can always upgrade components if it's really important to you, but I suspect you'll probably find that you don't need to.

That said, try them for size and go for the one that works best for you.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't see "commuting" as something different to the rest of my cycling; I see "commuting" as "cycling" and therefore the same criteria apply in my choice of bike:
- comfortable
- reliable
- low maintenance
- puncture resistant tyres able to cope with modest off road
- able to carry luggage
- low enough gears to climb hills
- proper mudguards.

Entirely sensible set of criteria, I wouldn't disagree with any of those at all. All of my bikes, including the discarded ones I've pulled out of builder's skips, either already meet all those requirements just as they are, or could easily be made to meet them, at very little cost. Anything which is better quality than an outright BSO can always be reliable, and maintenance requirements depend entirely on the amount of miles ridden and under what sort of road conditions. There is no relationship between the cost of a bike and how reliable it will be

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Most people would stuggle to tell the difference between 105 and Ultegra in terms of shifting perormance, and I have Ultegra on my best bike.

"Better" wheels you will notice a difference on, but as pointed out, lighter faster can also mean less durable and more subject to going out of true.

OP
OP
M

Moley1985

Ah - so not full Ultegra?

That makes my mind up for me then I think. Btwin it is (turns out the Cube had sold out).

Think I will get the Aluminium with Ultegra and Cosmic Elites. If I decide I want a carbon down the line I can get a planet x frame for £250.

Actually cheaper to do that than build a Planet X with similar spec ^_^

Top Bottom