B'Twin Rockrider 500 Kids' 24 inch

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 9 year old son has grown to hate his twist grip gears on his current bike. If he shifts his weight around he keeps accidentally knocking it. He's getting the kids Rockrider 700 next. It's 230 quid I think which for alloy frame, disk brakes, and 24 gears on triggers is quite a decent spec for the price. Only thing I suspicious of on it is the suspension fork. They don't publish any details and in the pic it looks like pogo stick forks to me. I'm going to have a drive out at some point to actually see it in the flesh.

I'm 4ft 11 (yeah, I know LOL) and I tried ones of these in Decathlon recently - just out of curiosity, you know, as an N+1 is in the offing and was playing around with possible options.

To be fair, I felt a little cramped on it (the smallest adult bikes are too big), but my impression was that it was like trying to ride a blancmange. Every time you touch the brakes, the front end porpoises really badly. Didn't inspire confidence at all.

FWIW, I've never ridden a bike with a suspension fork before, so not entirely sure if this was how it was supposed to ride. But I'd have expected the front fork to be compliant, but much stiffer. Bad set-up, perhaps?

If you want a bike with trigger shifters, how about Wiggins Chartres? I'm about to spring for a 26. It has a rigid front fork, though, and costs more than the Rockrider.

Bad set-up, perhaps?
Does the fork have adjustable preload? It would be nice if it does, and would certainly be a potential reason for feeling spongy if it's set too soft, but in the pics I saw on their website I couldn't tell.

subaqua

What’s the point
But trying to find a kids bike seems harder than getting a consciousness in the Tory government about Brexit.

How desperate are you to get it ? My boy is almost grown out of his , he coped with twist OK . You would be welcome to it for a donation to a cycle charity . It’s clean ish , not been abused no idea where in U.K. you are though so collection /delivery might be a pain

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

How desperate are you to get it ? My boy is almost grown out of his , he coped with twist OK . You would be welcome to it for a donation to a cycle charity . It’s clean ish , not been abused no idea where in U.K. you are though so collection /delivery might be a pain
Thank you for the generous offer, it's going to be a Christmas Present, we went out today to have a look around & called in at gooutdoors, they have the wise range with proper shifters rather than twist ones, unfortunately they didn't have any 24" ones in https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/wild-bikes-24-kids-bike-p454069

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In the end I went for the Wild Bike 24 as it claims to be lighter than the Vitus and even the Isla bike and I could use my scout leader discount. Should arrive in about a week. The Frog 55 has gone on eBay.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Just to update, I ended up buying the Wild bike https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/wild-bikes-24-kids-bike-p454082 they were doing an offer around Black Friday they were doing them for £192 which I still think is far too expensive. I went with this one due to the height of the top rail, I felt the others were a bit high in the event of him coming off, also the short reach brake levers.

Does the fork have adjustable preload? It would be nice if it does, and would certainly be a potential reason for feeling spongy if it's set too soft, but in the pics I saw on their website I couldn't tell.

I had a closer look this time, and yes, there is adjustment on the front fork.

Suspect the one I tried first time was badly set up / knackered from the kids mucking about with it, because I had another play previous week and actually, it came across as not that bad a bike when the fork was on its stiffest setting.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

First ride out with the Grandson today a nice little 7 miles, need to lift the seat a smidge as his knees come over the horizontal & the bell fell to pieces, not too happy with the pedals may have to look at replacements, I noticed his feet coming off a few times.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

In the end I went for the Wild Bike 24 as it claims to be lighter than the Vitus and even the Isla bike and I could use my scout leader discount. Should arrive in about a week. The Frog 55 has gone on eBay.
Have you sorted a rear mudguard out? been looking for a suitable one for the grandson

Top Bottom