buckle trouble!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
New bike for my comute is loverly! got a scott sub 30 and really enjoying the ride :biggrin: BUT!! on the way home last night i was forced to hit a drain cover at speed by a big F-OFF van! didnt think anything of it at the time but on my way out this morning realised my front wheel rubbing on brake pad on one side and then realised it is a slight buckle! also not sure if it is just because i was tired or if the buckle was making it harder to ride?? now is it possible to get a wheel un-buckled as it were?? :?:

tyred

Legendary Member
Within reason, most wheels can be un-buckled. If you have reasonable mechanical experience, a bit of patience and a spoke wrench, you can do it yourself. Turn the bike upside and use it as a trueing stand with the brake caliper as a feeler. Follow guides by Sheldon Brown or others.

If you don't have much experience in mechanical things, you'd be advised to take it to a decent bike shop.

Just be careful that you (or the shop mechanic!) don't use the spokes to try and correct a bent rim. If there is an actual bend in the rim, it will need to be straightened first.

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
great! thanks guys

was hoping that was the case! would have been a major downer having to shell out for a new front wheel for a new bike! :angry:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
If there's no damage to the rim it can be trued, my LBS charges £5, and that includes a new rim tape :o) He's an old dude though, I think he still lives in 1965

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Haha i wish that wer the case with my lbs! i am sure the missus isnt going to be happy when i brake the news that MORE! has to be spent on the bike :tongue: but hey! she has shoes.............. and i have bikes!

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
and does anyone think the dodgy wheel would be the cause of my hard ride thismorning? or am i just a big jessie?? :girl:

If there's no damage to the rim it can be trued, my LBS charges £5, and that includes a new rim tape :o) He's an old dude though, I think he still lives in 1965

He certainly does! wow.

Top Bottom