Buckled back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Cycling down county lane on bend car coming towards me unfortunately had to hit a bad pot hole took the inner tube out which I replaced but now left the back wheel slightly buckled A few spokes loose, any idea how much cost to get repaired

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
£10 -£20 seems to be the going rate.

Punkawallah

Über Member
A lot depends on where you take it - my last buckled wheel had to go to Halfords (bike-to-work). They said ‘new wheel’. Would have cost me £70 if their mechanic had not scratched his head and trued it for free. Still had a ‘lump’ in it, but rolled fine.

My LFBS currently charges £20 for wheel trueing.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I once slipped when pushing the bike up a grassy mound to look at a memorial to air ambulance on N.Uist.
Tacoed the back wheel when I landed on it. Unridable as it was I took it out of the frame and stood on the rim to push it back into kind of proper shape. Not perfect but it did me for the rest of my holiday until I got round to doing a better job on it. Went on for many miles after that with no problem.

Need to sort my fronty out on the gravel bike, hit a right big hole the other week. First buckle in, oh, 30 years ^_^

Big John

Guru
Give it a go yourself. Like Numbnuts says, it's not a dark art. However, if the rim has taken a twist then it's a bugger to straighten it. YouTube is your friend in cases like this. Turn the bike upside down, use the brake blocks as your guide and start truing it. Satisfying when it's done. Don't rush it 👍

si_c

Guru
Do a search on youtube on how to true a wheel, worth trying it yourself. Worst case scenario you have to take it to a bike shop. As noted above cost will be between £10 and £20 depending on where you live.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I once slipped when pushing the bike up a grassy mound to look at a memorial to air ambulance on N.Uist.
Tacoed the back wheel when I landed on it. Unridable as it was I took it out of the frame and stood on the rim to push it back into kind of proper shape. Not perfect but it did me for the rest of my holiday until I got round to doing a better job on it. Went on for many miles after that with no problem.
Yeap, that can be done, there's a technique with a couple of wooden planks to support the rim and you use your feet to bend the rim back into place..... you start off with the weight on your heels and gradually roll your weiht forward and so on.

Top Bottom