Buckled wheel and wrong tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recently (last 6 weeks) had my bike serviced and had 2 x wheels put on my Giant. Today, a spoke went and the wheel buckled.

As mentioned in another section a big thanks to BAB of Burrington Coombe who can put it right, I hope, but... how can I make all steps possible to avoid this happening again? Someone, not at BAB, mentioned that the spoke may have been adjusted for tension incorrectly (I presume too much tension) resulting in the breakage.

If so, is the bike shop for the service responsible or is it unreasonable for me to think so?

RedBike

I don't think there is any way to prevent it happening again. The really bad bit is that when one spoke breaks due to a tension issue it significantly raises the odds that another is going to break sometime soon. sadly theres just no way to tell if the next spoke will break in 10 years time or after you've rode 10 yards down the road.

lightly 'twang' each of the spokes in your wheel. Every spoke should be tight and most importantly every spoke (on each side) should appear to be at the same tension. Its quite normal for one side to be a lot tighter than the other due to the way the wheels dished but there should be no loose spokes.

Having a wheel un-evenly tensioned with some of the spokes loose and some tight is often a sign that spoke breakage is highly likely.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Okay thanks Redbike.

I think I may invest in a new set of Aerolite spokes or...is the wheel likely to end up buckled before that?

The LBS chap (and I trust any man who says he can sort out the buckle that this little spoke has indirectly caused) says he won't use a bladed spoke to replace it, but now I'm wondering if it's worth having a set on hand?

What you all think? They don't come cheap but I've heard that to mix and match is not a good idea...?

RedBike

Once you put a new spoke in and tighten it up the wheel is unlikely to be buckled.

If you look carefully at the way the wheel is built the spokes alternate which side they go to. If you remove one spoke then you'll end up with more spokes pulling the rim off to one side than the other, thus a buckle.

You're unlikely to need a spare set of wheels just yet. Give your existing wheels a week or two and keep your fingers crossed. One spoke breaking doesn't mean the wheel WILL break more spokes. It just means they're MORE LIKELY to break a spoke.

If you're really unlucky and break another spoke within the next week then its advisable (If you want a reliable wheel) to either have the wheel re-built with new spokes or buy a new set.

But at the moment just put a new spoke in and cross your fingers.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks mate, but it is horribly buckled...almost next to being a write off but the chap said he could do it and therefore it may not be perfect but may do.

I hear what you're saying though.

Think what must have happened is that the damn thing broke and then I hit a pothole and wham! Think I can buy the spokes individually so will give it a go.

Top Bottom