Buckled wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello,
i bought my Boardman HYB 8.9 Mens Hybrid Bike 2 weeks ago, and already the wheel is showing a sign of there being a buckle in the rear wheel. I am not sure whether this is because i weigh so much (15 stone ex rugby player) and bike wheels were not built for such a beast, and I need stronger wheels or Halfords should fix this for me?
Thanks

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Halfords should fix it for you. Most bike shops offer a "6 week service" on new bikes which should include a re-true if necessary, but if wheel already out of true I suggest you take back now.

If it keeps on going out of true, keep on taking it back and insist on a replacement if it doesn't stay in line.

In general, if like me you don't trust yourself to fix broken spokes and true wheels, having a spare one to swap in while the other one is getting fixed is a good idea. Learning how to do it probably even better!

alicat

Legendary Member
Best course of action is to take your bike back to Halfords and ask them to fix it. And when you get it back, ride it 'lightly' (don't bounce off curbs, try to avoid potholes, get out of the saddle when going over obstacles etc).

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
just to add: my road bikes' wheel also buckled and i found that Halfords did not tighten the spokes correctly so this time i checked all the spokes on this bike before riding.

Personally, I would take your wheel to Local bike shop that specializes in wheel repairs/rebuilding.

Halfords would probably just mess you a round in the long run.

Truing a wheel isnt expensive providing the wheel only needs this to repair.

And the spokes will be checked for the correct tension

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, Halfords can be very variable, depends on who's working that day and if they have the necessary skills. Take it to a LBS who should know what they're about.

Top Bottom