Bucks & Berks ride - Sunday 4th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lilolee

Veteran
As meeting up at Windsor/Eaton bridge appeared to work well last time I thought try it again.

Here is my planned ride. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/45936914/

Again 30 miles circular route. However if you want it longer I can extend it West via Maidenhead. Only one climb of any note.

The one thing missing was a tea & cake stop, so Beaconsfield is mid way with plenty of choice.

Mark W

I can't make this one Lee as I'm away, but the route looks good.
Where is the hill on the route? I might try it out myself.

I'll hopefully make Octobers ride.

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Veteran
Recce'd it today. One dodgy junction so I may change the route slightly and go through Iver a bit further East. Nice array of coffee stops throughout the route.

The hill is just an uninteresting slog from Wooburn Green up to the A40

Norm

The hill is just an uninteresting slog from Wooburn Green up to the A40
I worked in Wooburn for 3 months last year, and I can confirm that it is both uninteresting and a slog - it was tough enough in the car. :biggrin:

I also worked in Amersham a couple of years back, those are lovely roads you've picked there, Lee. :thumbsup: Just a couple of points, though. (well, you knew I'd say that, didn't you :blush: )

From the 12km mark, I'd have stuck I'd have stuck on Heathfield Road and through to the A40 on Broad Lane. Aside from missing the nasty (IMO) and narrow tarmac on the drop down to Wooburn, only to slog back up again, the ride through the edge of the Beeches will be glorious in early September. I'd also go through Beaconsfield on Burkes Road rather than Holtspur Top Lane and up Gregories Road, as that is another narrow road with a nasty surface.

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Veteran
Norm, I did consider the Burkes Road one and you are probably correct about missing that climb. I 'll try and recce this before the 4th and loop a bit further North through Calfont St Giles maybe.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I worked in Wooburn for 3 months last year, and I can confirm that it is both uninteresting and a slog - it was tough enough in the car. :biggrin:

It's fun in the other direction, though....

Norm

Indeed, much like the A404 up to Handy Cross. :biggrin: (although I tend to go uphill through Marlow Bottom and just use the A404 for the return leg)

Flasher

Is this happening?

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Veteran
Should be, with slight change as suggested by Norm and a coffee stop in Chalfont St Giles. Slight detour around the nasty roundabout across the A412, through Iver and then Richings Park.

As stated I will be at Windsor-Eaton Bridge 9:30.

jayonabike