buddy holly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Don MacLean, in the song American Pie, wrote of the night the music died

The music died 49 yrs ago yesterday at Mason City Iowa. Bored of being frozen silly on busses Holly, together with JP Richardson (the big bopper) and Richie Valens hired a light plane to speed them to their next gig. Pilot was not up to the task of night flying, misread his instruments and hit the ground. Holly was 22 years old and recently married, Peggy Sue was the g/f and wife of another band member.

Great musician and a serious force in the development of Rock/R&B. Learning the Game & What to Do summed up one period of my life! Some of his best work was the demo stuff found after his death and only exists in rather poor quality, though beautifully overlaid with new backing.

One can only speculate as to the greatness he would have acheived if he had lived.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yeah, kinda makes you wish Don Maclean had copped it instead, then we wouldn't ever have to listen to the tedious American Pie again, or the equally maudlin, Vincent...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
John Ponting said:
Anybody else remember Don McLean singing about Buddy's plane crash ? The Day The Music Died !

Yup, American Pie was about Buddy Holly, and "Killing Me Softly" (a hit for Roberta Flack) was about Don McClean singing "American Pie".
Wheels within wheels.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
i liked the Don MaClean version, although Maddona murdered American Pie with her rendition of it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Fnaar said:
Yup, American Pie was about Buddy Holly, and "Killing Me Softly" (a hit for Roberta Flack) was about Don McClean singing "American Pie".
Wheels within wheels.

I think the lesson is that it can only get worse if you write songs about songs...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My uncle used to be a ringer for Buddy Holly, even the glasses. Just lacked the singing and guitar talent. But he's always been afraid of flying. There's a lesson in there for someone.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Kirstie said:
[singing]...and I feeeeel like buddy holly cos it's raining in my heart....something something something...and I know how paaaaaul mccartney felt when he used to say...i wish it was yesterday[/singing]
:biggrin:

QED. :wacko:

mondobongo

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Don't worry. We've still got:-

All of Oasis
Westlife
Paul Mcartney
Bob Dylan
Kate Nash
The Arctic ****in' Monkeys

Rejoice.

Pardon me Mr Chuffy but exactly why would we want to rejoice with that list?

Definitive list

Top Bottom