Budget bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MrsDangermouse

Wow so many responses - thanks all for sharing your thoughts and experience. I have a very thick skin and I know that our budget is pretty small so we will be limited by that and have to make compromises. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to go out there and pick up a top of the range bike...but sadly I'm still waiting for that particular email from the National Lottery ;) That's why I'm researching and seeking recommendations from more experienced riders so we can get the best deal possible with what we can afford.

Interesting what you say about suspension and it makes perfect sense to me - just have to convince hubby now that he'd be better off without :thumbsup: We'd totally discounted road bikes, thinking that they wouldn't stand up to anything unpaved, but as the vast majority of our cycling is going to be on roads and cycle paths then maybe we'll also take a look at them too - but keep away from any with very narrow tyres.
I don't really want to make this purchase online or by phone unless I really have to, so we're off to Decalthlon and Halfords today to have a look at some of the models suggested. I've found a shop not too far away that seems to have a good range of Ridgebacks (but as they're only open Tuesday-Saturday it might be a few weeks before we can get over there).

We probably won't actually buy anything until January...but will keep looking around until then to try and narrow down exactly what we need. I'm glad I started researching early tho...impulse-buy with zero research didn't get us very far last time!

So thanks again for taking the time to give your suggestions....think I've got a lot of work ahead of me ;)

Paul99

Über Member
If you are going to buy from Halfords, then join British Cycling first and you can get a ten percent discount.

MarkF

Guru
Just to throw in another brand - Dawes Discovery (the 201 is something like £250 upwards?)

Yep, I started out on one of these, a few friends went on to buy them, the 201EQ from 2 years ago was spectacular value, about £220 with guards and a good rear rack.

I've had a 201 (stolen), 301, 401 and currently have a 501, I love this bike so much I've just made my third, but first successful, trip to Barcelona to retrieve it from where it was pilfered but later found. They are robust and the build quality, IMO, is far superior to a Sirrus and an FX that I've recently owned. They are not fashionable, that's the only negative thing I can see, superb starter bikes for all round riding.

OP
OP
M

MrsDangermouse

Just a quick update for anyone that's interested....

Well we totally blew the budget in the end - but its still affordable thanks to Cyclescheme (for me) and to discount vouchers and an early Christmas present from the mother in law (for him) :thumbsup: I've gone for the Specialized Sirrus Elite from the local bike shop in town who seem to really know their stuff and will fit it and give it a 6 week check-up. Hubby went for the Boardman Hybrid Comp (from Halfords of course).

For different reasons we've both got a few weeks to wait until we get the new bikes so we'll plod on with our Apollos in the meantime - we're doing 5/6 miles a couple of times a week now and tomorrow we're intending to do our first 10 :cheers: Have to say though that I can't wait for the new bike...apart from anything, it'll be wonderful to ride one that's big enough for me *lol*

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@MrsDangermouse.
Wow, from an Apollo to a Spesh.... you have made a fantastic choice.
Wait to you see how much more enjoyable cycling is with the Spesh rather then dragging the old Apollo clunker around.
The 10 miles will seem like a breeze.

Just remember to make sure the bike is set up properly and the fit is correct for you.

Top Bottom