Budget Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4947770, member: 45"]I think you're being deceptive. You claim that Greenway (which is a name that the UK distributor will have chosen for the factory to stick on one of their generic frames) has quality components. The Greenway brand is owned by East London Co. Ltd., it's not a Chinese company. You'll find this bike all over the world with different, local branding on. The one in the pictures on this thread has cheap, unbranded components throughout. Only the rear mech and freewheel is bottom-end Shimano. The hubs are Quando, which are low end standard for cheap bikes.

When the London warehouse has run out of this batch they'll do a deal on the latest run of unbranded bikes being churned out by the distributor in China and get their Greenway name stuck on them before they're shipped.

So no, it's not fantastic. It's just a cheap, mail-order folder with a frame of unknown source (despite your assumptions) to line up alongside many others. Please don't misinform people just because you've got one. It doesn't help in making an informed decision.[/QUOTE]

You are making the assumptions and much of your information is clearly incorrect to everyone but yourself. Surely you would understand the Greenway brand can be registered in the UK and owned by the East London Company Limited. That company may be owned or purely set up to sell Greenway bikes in the UK. Does it have an exclusive arrangement with Greenway bikes of china or does it buy from multiple factories. If you look at the chinese Greenway site you can clearly see the mountain bikes line up with the Greenway mountain bikes sold in the UK. Why would you even write such nonsense in a thread like this? It's like you believe that its just coincidence that Greenway bikes of China are being sold as Greenway bikes in the UK.

I don't have one of these bikes and it clearly has better components than any other folding bike sold at this price point in the UK as far as I know. A cassette based drivetrain and Claris derailleur is not entry level, its mid to high level on a folding bike.

Your comments are not helpful, honest or in anyway technically correct. I really don't know why you posted them.

[QUOTE 4947847, member: 45"]Have a read again. Unbranded, cheap components can be seen in the photo. You say it has good, quality components. You can see from the photo that this isn't true. You claim they're better than other unbranded, cheap components on other bikes at the same price. Claris is no better than a Sunrace derailleur on another bike you were knocking a few days ago. You're not making sense and seem to be making stuff up to promote bikes that you like.

These Greenway bikes are batch-bought, in the same way that Apollo, Dunlop, Sports Direct and any other bottom end catalogue bike sellers are. As the company size grows some choose to influence the development and production of their brand bikes more than just clicking on a website, customising the colours with no care as to what components are on the bike and diverting a box to the customer. Decathlon are one of those who are involved in design and development. Carrera do it to some extent, and the bigger brands pretty much all do.

The Chinese Greenway Cycles you appear to be confusing this brand with produce even poorer catalogue bikes.

While I have tried to add some balance to your dodgy opinion, it's not my job to highlight your confusion around which cheap bikes are good value and which cheap bikes are disposable. The flaws in your logic and knowledge despite the evidence right in front of your eyes suggest that you don't really know much about it. And that's not what this thread is about (apologies to the OP) so I'll leave you to it and divert no more. I think there's been enough input from others here and elsewhere to allow a new bike buyer to get a balanced view and not be swayed by your misinformation.[/QUOTE]

Are you actually comparing to other folding bikes? Claris no better than a naff plastic sunrace derailleur that sells for less than Shimano Tourney? I think we will leave it to others to judge your level of comprehension of reality and end it there.

[QUOTE 4950267, member: 45"]That's not what I said. You're accusing me, incorrectly, if the exact behaviour you're demonstrating. You're giving your opinions, based on lack of knowledge of the bikes/brands you're talking about, and when challenged you're manipulating what's being said.

Remember, you're claiming that bikes have quality components, which are actually unbranded basic parts that you can see on the photos. That's the level of the accuracy of your advice.

Brands themselves have different levels of component, you're comparing top vs bottom to suit.

It's important that people are given accurate information on bikes when they ask.[/QUOTE]

I think your reality is weirdly warped and completely unhelpful. I'm totally focused on component quality but you seem to be focused on some illogical brand loyalty. You have not made any case at all to show on a component by component basis except for your ridiculous statement about the low end Sunrace plastic derailleur being equal to the Shimano Claris. Again anyone reading this surely without almost any exception would understand how ridiculous that statement is.

However this is all a distraction in this thread the most important thing here is the purchaser of the bike who can perhaps state its quality and issues. I believe he has bought a fantastic value bike for his money with a very good quality drivetrain compared to similar priced models. Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong but that is for the purchaser of the bike to state and not some poorly informed internet troll to decide.

Top Bottom